Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever my PC restarts (say from a Windows update, or any time I click the Windows logo>power>restart), I see the Boot Device Not Found - Hard Disk (3F0) error and the PC will not boot. But if I then power off the PC with the power button, and then turn it on after a few minutes, it boots completely fine.

The hard drive is a Samsung 256GB SSD drive.

Any tips on how to fix this? What I've tried:

=========================

When I get the boot device error, if I press F2 to and do the hard drive quick test, it says it can't find the hard drive. However, if I then shut down and start up the computer using the power button, it boots fine (so it obviously can find the hard drive and the hard drive works fine).

The HP diagnostics also say the hard drive is fine.

When I'm having the Boot Device Not Found issue, I've also pressed F10 to get into the BIOS setup. The date and time is fine. I've reset the Bios, and I've also checked the Boot options and it's not set to Legacy (it is set to UEFI).

I have also completely reinstalled Windows and chose the reinstall option that removes my files and apps. So I now have a clean PC with pretty much only Windows on it.

But, if I click Windows > Restart...I see Boot Device Not Found. If I then press the power button, leave the PC off, and press the power button again in a minute or so, the PC boots perfectly and works fine.

Any other ideas on how to fix this??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved the problem!  Even when I reset Windows, HP was installing a trial version of Avast VPN software on my PC. I uninstalled the Avast software and the problem went away.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I solved the problem!  Even when I reset Windows, HP was installing a trial version of Avast VPN software on my PC. I uninstalled the Avast software and the problem went away.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.