Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
E6G16PA#ABG
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a 15inch Pavilion that won't start unless I do a hard reset (remove the battery, remove power adapter, hold power button 30 secs, replace power adapter & boot, then replace battery)

The trouble is that once I have hard reset it, it will only restart normally a few times before needing to be hard reset once again.

The battery reports as OK and I assume the BIOS battery is OK, as the computer holds time and date without issue.

How do I make the hard reset stick for a permanent solution?

Many thanks

Rusty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, there was a newer BIOS available and HPSA wasn't detecting it.

That said, the update made no difference,

I am leaning towards a dodgy power button, as it seems to work when I press and and hold HARD.

I'm happy to work with that for now.  Thanks for your assistance, you may close this thread if you like.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings @RustyCardores,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you need to do a hard reset intermittently to boot to the desktop.  

Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Do you shutdown the computer using the Windows/Start menu or just close the screen?

To isolate the issue, recommend you to run a system test on the computer. 

Please disconnect any devices connected to your computer. 

If you have any USB or DVD in the computer, please disconnect it.

Perform a power reset on the computer. Click here for assistance. 

Disconnect the adapter, remove the battery (if it can be removed)

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain the static in the computer. 

Connect the adapter and battery to the computer. 

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping F2 or ESC repeatedly on startup. 

This should get you to a Startup Menu and from there you can select System Diagnostics. 

Please select system diagnostics and run a system test. Click here for assistance.

If the test fails, please contact our phone support for the service options. 

If all the test pass, run the power troubleshooter in the control panel. Refer to step 4 in this article

Make sure all the drivers are updated using HP Support Assistant. Click here to know more. 

Also, install the Windows updates. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Everything tests 100% OK and all drivers are up to date.

I have just noticed however, that if I press the power button multiple times (and hold it down for some), the power light will eventually illuminate on one of the "hold downs" and the computer will boot.

Could this be a power button failure, or is this a known symtom of another kind of failure, be it software or hardware?

*It should noted, that during the hard resets, the power button appeared to behave normally.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

Based on the description of the issue, it seems to be an issue with the power button. 

Do you use the Windows button to shut down the computer or just close the screen?

If you close the screen or just press the power button to shutdown. 

Please check the power options on your computer. 

Refer to "Changing power button and lid settings" section in this article

HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎

However, recommend you to update the BIOS on the computer using HPSA. Also, run the power troubleshooter from the control panel.

Keep me posted. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I shut down using Windows.

Power options show nothing unwarranted.  The trouble shooter finds no issues.

HPSA shows no updates available. I don't see a specific option for BIOS update... am I missing that?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if there were any BIOS updates available for your computer, it would be listed in HPSA.

Open msinfo32 on your computer, check the version of BIOS installed on your computer. 

Visit, www.hp.com/drivers and enter the product number of your computer on the website. 

Compare the version of BIOS on the website with the one on your computer. 

If there is a newer version available, please install it and check. 

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options available to have the power button checked. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, there was a newer BIOS available and HPSA wasn't detecting it.

That said, the update made no difference,

I am leaning towards a dodgy power button, as it seems to work when I press and and hold HARD.

I'm happy to work with that for now.  Thanks for your assistance, you may close this thread if you like.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.