Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion gaming cx 0026nl
Linux

Hi, I need to re-post this post, because it's something like 6 months that I'm trying to make linux work on my pc but nothing changed.

I will live you also my post on the community of the Linux distro: https://community.parrotsec.org/t/acpi-errors-with-hp-pavilion-gaming-cx0026nl/12104

P.S. I often need linux, since I'm a computer science student.

Link to my old post in HP community (I'll also copy the text here after the link):https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Dual-boot-with-linux/m-p/7331036

I tried to dual boot my laptop with parrot os (a version of debian linux). I need both because I'm an IT student, and I need both linux and windows, possibly in dual boot. I obtained many ACPI errors that didn't allowed me to boot my pc with linux, and I tried to write to the page of the OS. They told me to try many combination of security boot, of legacy boot, I tried them but nothing changed. I tried to boot the os with acpi strict or off, I tried do do other commands, I tred anything, but what I obtained were many kernel panic, the OS boot only with ACPI off, but I'm unable to use the trackpad, I'm unable to use the wifi card, and I'm unable to shut down my pc (It just freeze while shutting down, and I have to power off it with the power button). With other options the OS boot in tty mode, with no possibility to switch to desktop mode, and it shuts down automatically after about 10-15 seconds. They told me to contact the hp assistance because this could be a little bios bug, but all they said me was "If the laptop has no problem with windows, for us the laptop works fine, and we will not help you with linux", and here I am. I hope someone already solved this, or I hope some hp programmer will read this, because I really don't know what to do. (I already followed many tutorials on youtube, and on internet).

I just need to understand where is the problem, and if I can fix by myself, or if there is nothing I can do, if HP doesn't release any driver for linux, as they said to me in thepost before this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got the LAST answer: my BIOS doesn't support dual boot with linux, and this is not a driver problem ... the only solution is working with DUAL BOOT WINDOWS AND PARROT OS (parrotsec), since this is the one that goes further down the installation, but the only way to work with linux is shutting it down with the power button, because they told me that this should not ruin my laptop (it could, but it should not) ... I don't know if I'll do it, because I don't want to spend other money to fix something because I shut down my PC with the power button... (again, thanks Stefan, the only persone that actually helped me)

SOLUTION: IF YOU WANT TO WORK WITH DUAL BOOT since you're a programmer or a computer science student, DON'T BUY HP PRODUCTS ... I still can't understand why anyone I asked never found this kind of problem ... every one that wanted to dual boot his pc in my class was able to dual boot it, but with HP you can't ...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Landomix 

I know you continue to have an issue, but I replied to your earlier thread -- and the HP issue has not changed.

They still do not provide Linux support and the best thing you can do is STILL, to contact the support forum of the Linux distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I know that you replied to me earlier, and I contacted the community and for now, there's nothing they can do. I just want a help from HP to only FIND the problem, since I PAID THEM for my computer 😉

Thank you for your help again, but i want an answer from someone, since everyone here says "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM"

HP Recommended

Ok, after 6 months I got a "possbly concrete answer" by you, dear HP ... Just need to wait for the "second level of assistance", I'll get a call back from HP assistance within a few days, and I'll report here the answer, in order to help other users that may have my same problem. I want to say thank you to ther first guy that actually gave me a possibility, after six months, at the HP assistance (I'll ask him when he will call me back if he would like me to mention him, in order to say explicitely thanks to him). He gently said that, that there could not be a solution for this, but he will FINALLY ask anyway to this "second level of assistance", and he will call me back within a few days, maybe monday or tuesday.

Is it so impossible to reach this "second level of assistance"? Did I really needed six months of calls to get this privilege???? This should be done AT THE FIRST CALL in my opinion ...

Hope ther is a solution, See you soon, I'll report down this post if there is an effective solution.

The next time, please, SAY CLEARLY when someone buy your laptops, or your products, WHICH OF THEM actually WORK with linux and WHICH OF THEM DO NOT work with linux, instead of saying nothing, and once I've bought it, and called the assistance hearing sentences like "YOUR PRODUCT MAY NOT WORK WITH LINUX" or "IF YOUR LAPTOP WORKS WITH WINDOWS, FOR US THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT", because you have to consider the fact that some people buy your laptop in order to study, and you actually should not released not tested products, or if you want to do this, I'll repeat again, LET THE BUYERS KNOW THIS FACT, WHILE THEY'RE BUYING YOUR PRODUCT, and not after they bought it😉 ...

I think that you, dear HP are a serious company, please don't make me change my mind, now that I need my PC to study ...;

I'll give you all the updates about this situation, and I hope I will not have to make the 20th Virtual Machine to use linux, because I need a concrete linux OS besides windows, I don't mind which linux distro, just a Debian based one.  KEEP IN MIND THAT THE COFFEE MACHINE IN MY UNIVERSITY WORKS WITH LINUX (UBUNTU), linux is not something really strange or creepy...

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions that HP sent me, and I'll keep up to date the post in this community: https://community.parrotsec.org/t/acpi-errors-with-hp-pavilion-gaming-cx0026nl/12104/7

(this is the link at my post) ... unfortunately no one of the solution that they gave me worked.

I want to say a big THANKS to Stefano, at the HP italian assistance: he is the only one that actually tried / is trying to do something to help me.

Unfortunately AS I WAS SAYING BEFORE, to everyone I called at the HP assistance, that this could be a BIOS problem, even if NO ONE LISTENED TO ME ... And I have another question ... why didn't they told me this when I still could change my laptop in order to buy another laptop, when I was saying this to them 6 months ago? couldn't they tell me this thing while this pc was still in the HP warranty (in order to at least try to change laptop)??????? Are them really tecnician? Do they know how a COMPUTER WORKS? DO YOU HP KNOW THAT I'M A STUDENT AND I CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER PC SOON ?????

Again, I want to say a big thanks to Stefano, that is doing everything he can to help me with this bad situation, thank you again, hope to find a solution together

HP Recommended

I got the LAST answer: my BIOS doesn't support dual boot with linux, and this is not a driver problem ... the only solution is working with DUAL BOOT WINDOWS AND PARROT OS (parrotsec), since this is the one that goes further down the installation, but the only way to work with linux is shutting it down with the power button, because they told me that this should not ruin my laptop (it could, but it should not) ... I don't know if I'll do it, because I don't want to spend other money to fix something because I shut down my PC with the power button... (again, thanks Stefan, the only persone that actually helped me)

SOLUTION: IF YOU WANT TO WORK WITH DUAL BOOT since you're a programmer or a computer science student, DON'T BUY HP PRODUCTS ... I still can't understand why anyone I asked never found this kind of problem ... every one that wanted to dual boot his pc in my class was able to dual boot it, but with HP you can't ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.