Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a similar, but more severe issue with a HP Pavillion. In my case, the crucial 1 TB SSD clone is not found among the hardware and the remounted “old” SSD boots not only just fine, instead, it is also no longer found among the hardware. The clone was created by Macrium reflect. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@ber999 

I use MR to clone drives all the time, and in years of use, I've never had it fail me yet.  So, I am surprised this did not work.

Did you clone ALL the partitions on the original SSD?  Or did you only clone the OS partition?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I found another thread, dealing with the issue of not starting system (not cloned with Macrium) on the new NVMe SSD.

My issue is, that the system from the original HP built-in SSD also does not start any longer.

In another thread again was stated this could be an issue of the mechanical Connection.

Meanwhile, I have installed Windows 10 Home on the second internal drive, the 1 TB HDD now.

However, the SSD PCIe interface remains dead (see below).   Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology_internal_free_port_4.png

HP Recommended

@ber999 

You didn't answer my question -- it was quite specific. 

HP Recommended

Hello WAWood,

thank you very much. I did clone the SSD completely of course.

Meanwhile, If have installed a Windows 10 Home on the second internal (HDD) drive.

HP Pavilion Datenträgerverwaltung ohne NVMe SSD.png

HP Recommended

Hello WaWood,

I have also asked at Intel for help. 

Re: Replacement NVMe SSD is not recognized and the original NVMe SSD is also no longer recognized - ...

However, after there way of tinking, the further investigation of this case should be done by HP.

HP Recommended

@ber999 

OK,so the drive shown in the disk management window is a 1TB SSD?  If so, I'm confused because an NVME SSD has to be formatted GPT in order for it to boot properly, and this drive in the screenshot is formatted MBR -- as I see no EUFI System Partition (ESP) on that drive.  Also, it is drive ZERO in the list, so that means it is the primary drive, not secondary.

Also, HP does not do troubleshooting of PCs, regardless of what Intel suggests.  We provide suggestions and advice, but we have no access to your PC, so there is no way we here can debug or fix any problems with it.

HP Recommended

Hello WAWood,

as you found out, the disk management shows not the 1TB SSD. It is the 1TB HDD.

This drive contains originally no system. Hence, I shrunk one of the partitions on the machine in question and installed the Windows 10 Home in the free disk space instead. 

The original NVMe SSD is formatted properly. Otherwise, the notebook would have never been started from this SSD. 

As currently no NVMe SSD is recognized in the PCIe slot, the existing HDD is assigned drive zero.

But, could it be, that you have experienced a similar issue before.?Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology_internal_free_port_4.png

HP Recommended

@ber999 

I am using NVMe drives myself, but none of my PCs are new enough to boot from them, so I use them as secondary SSDs, due primarily to their speed.

Main reason I do not use them is that my PCs don't support UEFI as the basic mode -- and your PC needs to be in that mode to see and boot from an NVMe drive.  Since the 1TB HDD is formatted MBR, my guess is that your PC is currently in BIOS mode, not UEFI.  Changing the mode may correct the boot issue.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon, thank you very much. 

Booting from the efi File on the NVMe SSD is a bult-in feature of this model. This was the only boot option in the original UEFI Bios settings.

Unfortunately, HP does not document this and other important information.

This boot option setting was changed in the UEFI Bios to comply with the situation after the installation of the system on the hard disk.

My question is now, how could I restore the original boot settings in the UEFI Bios when the currently dead NVMe slot is operational to recognize the NVMe SSD again.

As you have not the proper test equipment, you cannot answer this question. Please forward the question to a person which own the appropriate expertise.

Thank you very much.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.