Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

My daughter has a HP 625 notebook (product code WS786EA#AKS, windows 7) that is no longer starting. I have tried a lot but have now run out of ideas on how to fix it (or see what is the error)

When I do a power on, it is stuck for a long time at the HP logo screen, saying "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu". If i press esc (or any other F-key) nothing happens for a long time. After a while (like 10 minutes) one menu option is written (I think it is "Press F1 for system information"). Then after a while more (like 5 more mintues) the startup menu finally appears. Then it responds quickly (inside the menu system) and i can do some tests.

I have taken out the HDD, but the slow boot process is still there, I need to wait 10-20 minutes to go into to startup menu. 

Once there, I was able to do a memory test, but there were no errors found.

Once there I have also managed to update BIOS (through a bootable USB key) without the HDD being installed. The same behaviour is still there after upgrade (without HDD).

I have tried to look at the blinking of the "Caps lock" LED. It does not blink until after a long time. I didn't see exactly when it started (I couldn't sit there for 10 minutes waiting for a key to maybe blink), but when I started counting it blinked at least 10 times, so it does not match any of the blink codes.

(I docked the HDD into a USB dock, and run som disk checks. Some errors were corrected, but it seemed to be OK also before that. After all of the actions above, I reinstalled the HDD in the notebook, put in a Windows 7 recovery DVD, and restarted. It didn't care. It still "hangs" att boot logo).

Obviously there is some hardware error, but I wonder which part it might be that is not working, and how I find out?

Hoping for help from you experts out there...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello matsgw,

You have gotten an error for the HDD.

The error that you are getting is to replace the HDD.

It could be a bad port on the mother board

When you boot the computer tap F11 and see if you can run a recovery back to factory settings, maybe a software error.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I now ran the hardware self test again.

It reported “Hard Disk Test Failed”, with failure id 9BQ3L2-56S6L7-XD6U3F-60XV03.

This is however nothing that HP’s Customer Self Repair knows anything about. (“We are sorry that you cannot proceed with customer self repair.”).

I can of course buy a new HD and try it, but first two questions:

1. The HD worked fine when I removed it and docked it in my USB dock. Also I ran chkdsk utility on all partitions. There were a few errors on the Windows partition, but it was fixed. Why does self test still protest when I insert it back into the notebook?

2. When I start the notebook without HD in, but with a bootable USB key, or a bootable CD, it still takes 5-10 minutes before the boot screen reacts to the ESC button. Shouldn't the laptop boot quickly if the faulty HD is not there?

HP Recommended

Hello matsgw,

You have gotten an error for the HDD.

The error that you are getting is to replace the HDD.

It could be a bad port on the mother board

When you boot the computer tap F11 and see if you can run a recovery back to factory settings, maybe a software error.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Since the computer after some hour or so always started, I was able to rescue files to an external HDD.

After 20 failing attempts over a period of two weeks, to also perform a complete Windows 7 system image, the computer finally had a good day and I was also able to perform the system backup to the external HDD.

I bought a new HDD and replaced the dying one inside. The computer bios responded quickly when the new HDD was in place, which was a good sign. I performed a system restore from the backup on the external HDD, let it run by itself for an hour or two, and then everything was up and running again. :generic:

HP Recommended

matsgw,

Glad to hear that everything is working again.

If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

HP Recommended

hello sir can you help me on my problem in laptop
similar problem but my laptop goes black screen but when i press esc the star menu  will appear

HP Recommended

Hello @Lutos,

Can you please explain your issue so I can help you the best way possible.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
Hi,
I have a HP Pavillion dm3 Notebook and it's not working now. When I turn it on, the screen displays Hp logo and "Press esc for start up" message on its lower left corner. When I press esc, it displays F1, F2, F10, F11. I tried pressing F11 but the screen goes back to hp logo. I tried performing diagnostic test in Bios Set up and it says passed.
HP Recommended

> I tried performing diagnostic test in Bios Set up and it says passed. 

You probably should have opened your own question, rather than appending to a question "answered" in 2013.

The diagnostics will test the hardware -- compare to you walking around your vehicle, looking for flat tires, removing children's tricycles and toboggans from being near the wheels, and cleaning ice/snow from the glass.  These are "hardware" tests -- they just prove that the vehicle, or the disk-drive, responds to commands.  The tests say nothing about having a dead battery, a frozen engine-block, or losing the ignition key, or a dead fuel-injection pump, or having an empty gas tank.  Even if all these parts are "good", the vehicle may not start. To start Windows, you need a disk-drive that passes the hardware tests *AND* also that the files on the disk-drive are complete and readable, so that the "boot" into Windows will be successful.

Put differently, the hardware tests do not test the "logical-correctness" of the files & file-system on the disk-drive.

Can you remove the disk-drive, and attach it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer, to see if the files on the disk-drive can be accessed?

HP Recommended
Unfortunately, I don't have any other computers. Is there any solution I could do that does not involve removing the hard drive?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.