Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 450
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed Windows 10 operating system.

In BIOS settings BIOS setup -> Security -> Hard Drive Tools  I activated DriveLock and entered master password and user password (the same) and reentered "DriveLock" phrase to confirm.

After save and exit BIOS, Windows was lunched (I wasn't prompted for the drivelock password) and I tried to enter my system user password. Then system crashed and after restart I have this screen:

IMG_20170506_174802.jpg

I tried disable DriveLock, In BIOS settings BIOS setup -> Security -> Hard Drive Tools -> DriveLock and I have only this options here:

IMG_20170506_175817.jpg

When I clicked into "Set DriveLock Password" and set "Notebook Hard Drive" I had response "Drive is Locked".

When I clikced into checkbox DriveLock password on restart and confirmed, after restart I have this same screend "Boot Device Not Found".

Can someone help me solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Maker1

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Thank you for the detailed description and for the pictures taken. This is very helpful from IT perspective for the issue diagnoses.

You get the message "Boot device not found" because the HDD is locked from the BIOS.

BIOS has locked the HDD using Drive Lock password and when BIOS tries to load the bootable device, it cannot find one (unlocked one).

All you need to do is enter the BIOS and try to de-active Drive Lock feature completely. You may also clear all security stuff in the PC and restore the BIOS to default condition.

If you are unable to do it, you will have to contact HP. Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. Password cannot be removed here in the forum - you will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how:

phone >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

chat option in real time >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that assistance for such issues is usually free of charge for HP business class computers.

Hope this helps. Please, mark the post as a solution if it helped.

Let me know if you face any difficulties. Cheers!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.