Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My new HP Chromebook 11 will not turn on.  The charging light will not turn on and there is no response to pushing and holding the power button.  I don't know if the battery was low prior to this problem, but the charging light will not turn on even after hours of charging and trying a hard reboot will not work either.  I have read multiple posts about this problem but none have answered this question consistently or correctly for my problem.

Things I have tried:

Replacing the recalled charger - check

Letting it sit charging for over four hours - check

Trying multiple chargers of varying voltage - check

Trying a hard reboot by pressing down and holding the refresh and power buttons together - check

And multiple other key combinations, including holding down the power button while removing and replacing the charger - check

None of the above have produced ANY results.  Any ideas on how to fix the problem?  There is no visible battery pack, so I can't simply remove that which often works for other notebooks.

Thanks in advance to anyone more tech savvy than me who has any suggestions. (P.S. Ideally I'd like to avoid returning the machine altogether)

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

HI jaymae,

Welcome to the HP forum!

I understand that your Chromebook 11 will not power on.   When you try to power it on, do you see a light in the back where the power is connected? Do you hear any mechanical noises ( iE  fan spinning,HDD spinning). If yes I would try this  Computer Does Not Power on After Software Update (Chrome OS).  If you have no mechanical noises at all, I would contact Chrome support. There should be a listing in  the documentation that came with the computer. This will provide the best contact information for your system.  If you are unable to locate it, here is a general link for Chrome Support. 

Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Thanks for your response. There is no light anywhere nor mechanical noises, buzzing, or any fans. It seems pretty lifeless 😞 . I will try to contact chrome support and respond. Thanks
HP Recommended

I am experiencing exactly this issue as well. Please report back if you figure out a solution!

HP Recommended

Hi all.

I faced same problem tomorrow. My chromebook discharged down to 0 and shutdown.
Charging light doesn't light even after night on charger.

But today I tried some stupid and reckless things and it helps!

First of all, you need to open bottom case. There are hints about how it can be done: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7418/hp-chromebook-11-review

And now interesting part:
1) Make sure charger is not connected
2) Pull out battery connector and wait about minute: https://plus.google.com/photos/109955481989177063222/albums/6012256117845139825/6012256117803552962
3) Plug in charger in chrome book and wait several seconds after light is up
4) (!) Carefully pull back battery connector.
Next seconds may resurrect you chromebook or kill permanently 🙂

In my case, charging light turn to red, but couple seconds after turn yellow again and charging started.
After half an hour I open lid and chromeOS booted.

Good luck everyone.

HP Recommended

If you are within your warranty, submit a claim and have them replace it.  

HP Recommended

@viknet your solution works form me!

I've opened the chromebook, pulled out the battery connector, plugged in the power and then plugged in the battery connector.

Also for me the led turned to red and, after few seconds, turned to yellow.

Tnx!

HP Recommended

Our school system purchased a large number of HP Chromebooks and unfortunately many of them will no longer charge.

Sometimes it is the charger and sometimes it appears to be the Chromebook itself. So sad...love the feel of the keyboard and the extensive battery life but I am beginning to think these were a poor investment.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. 

Before the HP Chromebook 11 went dead, I would get the low-power charging light no matter what charger I used. It would say the computer would not recharge while active.

Now, no lights, no charge, no HP Chromebook 11.

Please, please say someone's found a solution.

HP Recommended

Still seems to be QUITE A PROBLEM...  It's happened on THREE of my chromebooks.  The second and third were replacements/refurbished by manufacturer.  Extremely poor usability and design HP/Goog!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.