Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15-n278sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ok, I'm going to explain this the best i can.

I have the 15-n278sa and also the 15-af068sa laptops.

Since having the 15-n278sa, when i press the power button the power will come on for about half a second and then go off.

when i press the power button again, the laptop will boot up normally. Now i thought this was a temporarily thing but it happens everytime now.

Now, i recently did a bois update on the 15-af068sa and when i press the power button, the Hp logo comes on screen but doesn't go after that (no little spinning dots)

so i hold the power button down so the laptop goes off and then when  i press the button again, normal boot up procedure. 

Has anyone come up with the same problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I have found a solution.

I have turned off (turn on fast start-up) option and this has cured (i think) the problem.

I have tested this on  the 15-af068sa laptop and when i turned it off completely and back on, the laptop booted back up on first press of the power and not what i have stated above.

I'm yet to test it on this laptop (15-n278sa)  but once i find out, i will update this  post so you can at least inform others with the same problem.

sequence to get to fast start-up option : control panel / all control panel items / power option

Either click on "choose what the power button does" or "choose what closing the lid does" - click on "change setting that are currently unavailable" and then select fast start-up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey, welcome to the HP Forums @djrobbiep79

I'd be happy to help you with your HP Notebooks. I understand you now need to press the power button twice in order for the notebooks to boot up. I found something that might help. According to the following thread, removing the CMOS battery might resolve the issue: HP Laptop Screen doesn't turn on 1st time..

Let me know if this works for you by clicking the Accept as Solution button below. If the issue persists, let me know and I will continue searching for other possible fixes. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

thank you for your responce.

Would you know where the location of these batteries are as the 15-n278sa has a memory access port but not in there and the other one does not have any access points.

Thanks for your support so far.

HP Recommended

I just checked the Service and Maintenance guide for your model and can't find instructions to remove the battery, thus I don't believe it is removable; too bad because I really thought that might do the trick! 

Now, I'm not one to give up, I've continued searching and found something else....  

Before removing the RTC battery, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn
the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.
2. Disconnect the power from the computer by unplugging the power cord from the computer.
3. Disconnect all external devices from the computer.
4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 40), and then remove the following components:
a. Optical drive (see Optical drive on page 45).
b. Service door (see Service door on page 42).
c. WLAN module (see WLAN module on page 44).
d. Memory module (see Memory module on page 42).
e. Keyboard (see Keyboard on page 51).
f. Top cover (see Top cover on page 55).
g. Hard drive (see Hard drive on page 59).
h. System board (see System board on page 68).
Remove the RTC battery:
1. Use a flat-bladed, non-metallic tool (1) to release the RTC battery from the socket on the system board.

2. Remove the RTC battery (2).
Reverse this procedure to install the RTC battery. When installing the RTC battery, make sure the “+” sign
faces up.

Images and more detailed instructions can be found here: HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.

As you can see, this also says Service and Maintenance guide, I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 are, but let's give it a try.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

ok, i managed to get to the battery on the 15-af068sa laptop and took it out with the main battery off. I held the power button for about for about 30 seconds. Put the battery back in and again, first press just the hp logo. Second press and hp logo with little spinny thing so still at square one. Haven't tried it on the other one yet.

HP Recommended

At this point I'm not sure what else to recommend @djrobbiep79. It might be best for you to call us to see what options are available. 

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Best of luck to you. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Is there no way i can rollback the bios? i have downloaded the previous version to what the laptops are on now but when when i try it in the UEFI, an error came up saying it the image file could not be found although it did identify the version number. 

HP Recommended

Just a thought. i'm sure this has only happened while the laptops have been using windows 10 so on the bootup screen, do the rotating dots mean that the windows 10 image is starting to load. if so, could there be a problem with the images where it's not initializing first time and needing the restart to achieve the start up?

HP Recommended

I think I have found a solution.

I have turned off (turn on fast start-up) option and this has cured (i think) the problem.

I have tested this on  the 15-af068sa laptop and when i turned it off completely and back on, the laptop booted back up on first press of the power and not what i have stated above.

I'm yet to test it on this laptop (15-n278sa)  but once i find out, i will update this  post so you can at least inform others with the same problem.

sequence to get to fast start-up option : control panel / all control panel items / power option

Either click on "choose what the power button does" or "choose what closing the lid does" - click on "change setting that are currently unavailable" and then select fast start-up.

HP Recommended

I can confirm that is works on both laptops so must be a problem with the AMD models and windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.