Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
pavilion g6-1045ej
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello.

I am using an HP Pavilion g6 1045ej laptop. The laptop is about 4 years old and 3 days ago I replaced the cpu from i3 380m to i7 640m.

after the repalcement the laptop didn't boot up, the fans were whirring but the BIOS screen didnt came up. The Caps Lock button is blinking in intervals of one, the wireless button is orange and thats it. Its been like this ever since.

Any suggestions?, Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @Mr_Potato, 

I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Community where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help with the issues you experience. If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s),  please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

The LED lights near the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys will blink if an error is detected during the startup process. The LEDs will blink a number of times in a sequence and then stop. The number of blinks in the sequence is 1 blink. This means that the CPU is not functional.  

blink code.PNG

Source: Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code 

You can try to reseat the CPU and check all of the connections first to see if maybe it just was not being read properly, as you did say that you had just replaced the CPU. 

Although you had mentioned you replaced the i3-380m with an i7-640m. I found the CPU that came with the Notebook in the chart for the Intel® Previous Generation processors. Then I checked  to see what is compatible. Please look at the HP Pavilion g6-1045ej Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide on page 1. 

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue. If you require further assistance I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, please click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi there @Mr_Potato, 

I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Community where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help with the issues you experience. If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s),  please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

The LED lights near the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys will blink if an error is detected during the startup process. The LEDs will blink a number of times in a sequence and then stop. The number of blinks in the sequence is 1 blink. This means that the CPU is not functional.  

blink code.PNG

Source: Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code 

You can try to reseat the CPU and check all of the connections first to see if maybe it just was not being read properly, as you did say that you had just replaced the CPU. 

Although you had mentioned you replaced the i3-380m with an i7-640m. I found the CPU that came with the Notebook in the chart for the Intel® Previous Generation processors. Then I checked  to see what is compatible. Please look at the HP Pavilion g6-1045ej Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide on page 1. 

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue. If you require further assistance I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, please click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you very much,
Basically I just changed the old CPU with the new CPU repeatedly and then the new one decided to act normally XD
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.