Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0101ax
Microsoft Windows 11

I've installed an NVMe M.2 SSD but in BIOS my SSD is not showing in BOOT priority order. I've done everything please help me in that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Anshul0206 

You will find on many HP notebooks that when you add a M.2 NVMe SSD, it does not show up in any boot options menu.

That is because the Windows boot manager decides what drive to boot from and since you have an operating system on the 2.5" drive, it is always going to boot from that drive first and not the SSD.

What I recommend you do that has worked for many others in the past would be to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive.

If you have installed Windows on the NVMe SSD, the PC should automatically boot from it.

If you have not installed Windows on the SSD yet, use the HP cloud recovery tool before disconnecting the hard drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the NVMe SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...you will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

Then disconnect the 2.5" drive and install W10 on the NVMe SSD and you should be all set.

Then you can reconnect the 2.5" drive because the Windows boot manager will have switched to the SSD.

For best results, after you have determined that everything is working as expected, format the 2.5" drive and use it for storage only.

Notebooks that come from the factory with a 2.5" drive and a NVMe SSD, have no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Anshul0206 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) What is your current < BIOS > version ?

(2) You did not specify exactly your SSD, especially the size ?

(3) There is hope

Read -> [ Solved ] I want to add 512gb SSD in HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0101ax

(4) Download -> Maintenance and Service Guide

Page 2 Chapter 1 Product description

ub6424_0-1660671799080.png

HP Recommended

Hi, @Anshul0206 

You will find on many HP notebooks that when you add a M.2 NVMe SSD, it does not show up in any boot options menu.

That is because the Windows boot manager decides what drive to boot from and since you have an operating system on the 2.5" drive, it is always going to boot from that drive first and not the SSD.

What I recommend you do that has worked for many others in the past would be to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive.

If you have installed Windows on the NVMe SSD, the PC should automatically boot from it.

If you have not installed Windows on the SSD yet, use the HP cloud recovery tool before disconnecting the hard drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the NVMe SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...you will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

Then disconnect the 2.5" drive and install W10 on the NVMe SSD and you should be all set.

Then you can reconnect the 2.5" drive because the Windows boot manager will have switched to the SSD.

For best results, after you have determined that everything is working as expected, format the 2.5" drive and use it for storage only.

Notebooks that come from the factory with a 2.5" drive and a NVMe SSD, have no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

HP Recommended

That's a whole new way of looking at it. Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen !

HP Recommended

I've tried your way when I disconnect the drive it's running on SSD but when I reconnect my drive it's again start running on drive windows please help

HP Recommended

I'm surprised that the boot manager switched back to the 2.5" drive.

In that case, the only suggestion I can offer would be to format the hard drive so there is no operating system on it, forcing the boot manager to switch to the SSD all the time.

You may have to remove the drive from the notebook and format it using a USB to SATA hard drive cable, if you can't get the PC to boot from the SSD with the 2.5" drive installed.

HP Recommended

Can you please explain me the process how to format the drive having windows

HP Recommended

If you cannot have the 2.5" drive connected while your notebook is running from the SSD, you will need to buy a USB to SATA cable.

Something like this...

Amazon.in: Buy PiBOX India - USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter 0.5 M Long Cable w/UASP - S...

Remove the hard drive and plug the one end of the cable into the hard drive and the other end into your PC's USB port.

Turn on the PC.

Go to this PC and you should see two drives listed.

The C:\ drive you are running from, and the drive plugged into the USB port.

Right click on the drive and select 'Format.' do a quick format and that should be all you need to do.

You can change the drive label or remove it altogether.

That's optional.

Then you can plug the drive back into your notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.