Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My device is using my hard drives at 100% disk usage. I have only got my device since a year. I don't have much files or any third-party apps to slow down my pc. Then why is this happening, my pc performance is slowing down. I also didn't use my pc for some time. Is my pc slowing down because of that?? Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@samuel003

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, your PC shows 100% disk usage,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues: 

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

@samuel003

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, your PC shows 100% disk usage,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues: 

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

First of all, thanks for the reply

My product number:1JM32EA#A2N

It's not working since 6 months or so, and its only been a year since i got my device. It's new

Changes made: Well, since this issue tried to occur i thought maybe there was something wrong with the hardware. So, I used windows troubleshooter and it definetly found some problems and fixed it but i don't remember what were those. I also had slow pc performance so i improvised like defragmenting and optimizing my drives, deleting temporary files, disabling third- party apps, apps in startup.

Followed by instructions i also took from windows customer care- disabling windows search, stoping superfetch, doing disk check-up and setting registry value of autorun to 4. Also updated my intel driver . I also used my antivirus software to fix broken registry items, system junk files and fix apps that slowed down my pc performance. Also used a third-party app. Still no fix. The only thing i keep coming back to is doing a bios update because actually my bios is outdated, or maybe reseting my pc(which i don't want). Just tell me what you think of a bios update.

I will try out your steps told and let you know

HP Recommended

@samuel003

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You could try BIOS update and also perform updates available in HP Support Assistant and Windows Update.

You could download the latest BIOS available for your operating system from the link: https://hp.care/2k2KUua.

If the issue still persists, create a new user account and check the functionality of your notebook: Click Here.

If you have the similar issue in the new user account, you could perform  Microsoft Push-Button Resethttps://hp.care/2k63fWY.

Let me know how it goes,

Have a great day :

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey I think I fixed it. My disk usage is runing at a normal rate now.

Thank you @Flower_Bud

screenshot.png

I also have one more  Question, my memory is runing at a 60%, its normal right?

HP Recommended

@samuel003

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts

I'm glad you found the solution
for this concern.

Memory usage depends on the programs which are running on his computer.

You need not to worry about this 🙂

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

What was the actual fix?

Knowing that would help the 1000's of other users with this issue!!!

HP Recommended

@DionHurst

As I understand, you're in need of support

What seems to be the issue? 

Did you try these steps recommended in my post?

If not, I suggest you try these steps and keep me posted,

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi there! 

Sorry for the late reply.

Here are steps which I've found as a solution 

1. Disabling and stopping windows search

2. Stopping superfetch

3. Deleting temporary files

4. Performing disk check

5. Defragmenting hard drives

6. Installing updates recommended by windows and hp

7. Turning off hibernate mode

8. Performing windows troubleshooter and fixing issues

9. Using third-party apps to clean and fix broken registry items

10. Disabling third-party apps and also on startup 

11. Update drivers etc. of pc

12. Also, use anti-virus software to remove junk and virus etc.

Thats all! 

If this doesn't work, then the last and risky step is to update your pc to the latest bios.

That is sure to fix the problems. But it's a risk and maybe it won't fix your computer at all and could lead to complete shutdown of your pc. If you are ready to perform a bios update please refer in hp's website before any further. It will still be at your own risk.

Please be aware that these steps were advised by windows and it worked for me. If you should have any more problems after these please contact microsoft or your manufacturer for more details.

Thank you

HP Recommended

SOLVED!!!!

Uninstall HP CoolSense!!!

Disk usage immediately dropped from 100% constantly to 3%!!! I repeat...the culprit is HP CoolSense!!!!

All the other recommended measures are pointless...this is the FIX

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.