Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Did you run System File Checker as an Administrator?  For what it is worth, my "spare" computer (an old laptop) had serious slugggishness issues,  SFC reported that there were problems it could not resolve.  It did not use Intel Rapid Storage so there was no Intel driver updates to do.  On that machine I reinstalled Windows 10 version 1809 (was not interested in using version 1903 just yet).  Machine boots and runs much faster now.  SFC reports no problems.  It never had the 100% disk usage issue however.

Be sure to backup your files before attempting this!

I got version 1809 here:  https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-1803-iso-file-after-1809-releases/  The article describes how to get an old version of Windows 10 when the new version is the only thing that Microsoft is offering.  Clearly the objective of the article WAS to get 1803 when 1809 was the only thing available.  Times have changed but the procedure, as arcane as it is, still works.  This takes a few hours long time to complete.  Be patient.

Maybe you want to wait until you get version 1903 and not go through this frustration?

Don't give up.

Marty

HP Recommended

Also been batteling the 100% disk usage issue. Also tried all these mentioned things, but didn't help. The thing that solved it for me was this : https://techloris.com/100-disk-usage-windows-10/#Fixing_the_StorAHCIsys_Driver

HP Recommended

I'm also having this issue.

HP Recommended

Here is the solution that brought my disk from 100%, down to 0-3%

You must disable 3 services:

1. Windows Search
  2. HP Support
  3. Superfetch

Considering your computer is barely usable, here is the least painful process to follow:

1. Once your computer starts up, move the mouse around the bottom of the screen. Watch to make sure you see the icons get highlighted as you move your mouse over them. This shows your computer has a little space to do something, and won't totally freeze on you. If you see a loading icon, or no feedback from the start bar, wait. Once you see feedback, go to step 2.
  2. Click the Windows button on the bottom left of your screen
  3. Once it opens, type in CMD
  4. Right Click "Command Prompt", and "Run as Administrator". Select "Yes".
  5. Type in: "net.exe stop superfetch", press enter. Wait 1-2 minutes. If your computer had the same issue as mine, it should start speeding up.
  6. Type in: "net.exe stop "Windows Search"
  7. This should give your computer some room to finally work. Next, open up Task Manager by pressing "Control, Shift, Esc" (You press one, hold it, press the other, hold it, press the last, and release all"
  8. If a dialog box pops up, just press "Yes"
  9. Press the arrow on the bottom that says "More Details"
  10. Now look at the top of the Task Manager. What's the percentage?. If it's below 98%, great! You're making amazing progress. If not, send HP an e-mail talking about their S*** laptops 😉
  11. Scroll through the list until you find something along the lines of "HP Support Assistant". Once you find it, right click, and press end process. If you see something called "CoolSense", kill that too.
  12. After doing all this, my disk space went down to 0%.

How to tell the S*** HP Laptop to not start these junk processes again:

1. Press the Windows button, hold it, and press R. Release. Type in "Services.msc" into the dialogue box. Select "Yes" if another dialogue box pops up
  2. Scroll through the list until you find: "Windows Search, HP Support Assistant, Superfetch". These B****** are the reason why your laptop isn't working. Kill them by doing this:
  3. Right click on each, click properties, and tell them to go F*** themselves by selecting "Disabled" under the "Startup type" drop down menu about half way down the screen under the general tab.
  4. Click "Apply"
  5. Rejoice. And if this worked for you, tell HP Support that they may purchase rights to use this explanation from me for helping their future customers. If you feel, you may add how much trouble this issue has caused you, and how much you think they should pay to use this explanation, considering they had caused all this frustration ;).

Bonus:

You are able to save this laptop, even with HP's S*** software. Sadly, you'll have to fork out a little more of your money to cover HP's issues, but hey. Go buy a Solid State Drive (SDD Hard Drive), and get your local computer shop to replace the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) inside your computer. That should help a lot. And likewise, I hope this explanation has solved your issue, as it did mine.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have done everything that you recommended to other person yet the issue for my hp Pavilion 15 au623tx wasn't resolved. I have installed latest bios, turned off hibernate using cmd, and other fixes like disabling search, SysMain, and many more countless things yet my issue wasn't resolved.

HP Recommended

As of my knowledge, the same problem (100% Disk issue) affecting many many people, but HP could not provide a proper solution for that. Anyway I bought a new Lenovo laptop to do my work and kept 18 months old HP laptop under the table.

HP Recommended

I work for a decent size company 600+ employees. I work as IT support and we've purchased many HP computers. For years we've had no problems and have been very happy with our purchases, until now. I've had the same exact issue with the last several desktops purchased from HP, 100% disc usage. I tried EVERYTHING.  All the steps they suggested, to include uninstalling HP bloat ware, stopped all searching, updating the bios, updating windows and drivers. NOTHING worked. I even completely wiped some computers using a boot from USB device with a fresh installation of Windows 10 and still 100% disc usage. I finally gave up and purchased some samsung SSD drives and replaced the Western Digital hard drives that were pre installed.  This did fix the issue but I'm not buying anymore HP products. I'm glad to hear that some of you were able to get yours working but this is a known issue now for a few years with HP and they still are selling faulty computers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.