Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay007tx laptop.
Linux

Hi!

I have HP 15-ay007tx laptop bought a week ago. I have observed a curious charging behaviour with this laptop. I left my laptop charging overnight (in shut down state). In the morning I booted my laptop just to check the charging and it showed 100% charged. I shut down the laptop immediately and left it switched off whole day. In the evening I checked the charging level again (of the unused laptop). I repeated this for 3 different days and each day the charging level stood at 87%, 90% and 88%.

I wonder if there is any issue with my laptop/battery as for apparantly nothing it's discharging. I have another HP laptop pavilion 15-e015tx and I do not observe such discharging behaviour with it.

Can HP experts/expert users shade some light on this? Has anybody experienced same thing with his/her HP laptop?

Thanks,

Atul.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sowani

Thank you for replying

You are right, the part with the Linux OS wasn't showing up on my screen and to let you know, HP doesn't have Linux supporting applications at this time,

However, I found a few 3rd party links that should help you test your battery in ubuntu:

How to check battery status using terminal

Ubuntu 10.04 new battery calibration procedure

I would request you to follow the steps mentioned in the previous post related to calibrating & installing the latest battery drivers as that should resolve the issue.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Sowani

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand the laptops battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, 
I have a few suggestions for you,

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check its a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test of the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery

Re-install the battery drivers
​​​​​​​

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here.

Or using this link to about Purchasing a Replacement Battery

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @Riddle_Decipher for prompt reply.

I am not sure how much information which I provide while creating the question is visible on forum. So just in case it's not completely visible, my laptop does not run Windows. It's running Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux).

So I am not sure if I can effectively make use of the utilities you've prescribed. Do you have some utilities which I can use on Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Atul.

HP Recommended

@Sowani

Thank you for replying

You are right, the part with the Linux OS wasn't showing up on my screen and to let you know, HP doesn't have Linux supporting applications at this time,

However, I found a few 3rd party links that should help you test your battery in ubuntu:

How to check battery status using terminal

Ubuntu 10.04 new battery calibration procedure

I would request you to follow the steps mentioned in the previous post related to calibrating & installing the latest battery drivers as that should resolve the issue.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thanks for the links. I was not aware of battery calibration procedure given in second link. In fact both these links are useful. I will try this method today and will update with my results in a couple of days time.

Best regards,

Atul.

HP Recommended

@Sowani

Fair enough,

Please take your time and let me know how it all pans out,

And I hope it works well for you (fingers crossed) 😉

Have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

I re-calibrated the laptop battery using the link earlier provided by you. With the re-calibration done, now the daily loss of charge stands at the average 8% which I hope is okay for Li-Ion battery.

I will monitor the charging loss for some more time for any deviation from this value. In case there is more or increasing deviation, I will get in touch with HP support for battery checkup.

Thanks for all your help and patience!

Best regards,

Atul.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.