Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
As of a few days ago my disc drive has also stopped working, it seems to be detected by the bios and device manager but remains defective. First the hinge breaks and splits apart and now this, great.
I expected so much out of this thousand dollar product but it looks like I've been scammed.

Funny thing is my brother has been wanting a notebook PC exactly like mine, looks like I'll be talking him into getting an DELL one instead of this HP nonsense.
HP Recommended

H.P. totally took care of me. My Envy was repaired and returned to me lightning fast.

HP Recommended
Oh really? I ticket you still had your warranty?
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with my laptop now. Both hinges coming apart and fan is faulty. I'm curious as to whether anyone go theirs repaired?

HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy 15" here, also having the exact same problem. The left side of the laptop comes apart whenever the lid is open, and the left hinge has dropped slightly.

The problem started just after the 1 year warranty expired. I would appreciate some help from HP with this.

HP Recommended

@curtped

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

The breaking hinges on HP laptops is a constant issue.   If it is still under warranty, they will fix... you send it in, they send back a remanufactured one. If it isn't under warranty, they send a standard email like the one to your post. It is always the same response since they simply paste it into your reply.

When you contact them as directed, they will offer to replace your case at a discounted price (seems to me that the discounted price was about $145, but I'm not sure). As far as HP is concerned, those are the options. Doesn't matter that thousands of these crappy laptops were put on the market and are still marketed. Sams Club seems to have almost gone entirely to selling worthless HP laptops... flooding the market with them.

HP laptops simply have a design and materials defect which they will not fix because it costs too much. They also seem to still be making a defective product from the fact that this post continues to get updates on a regular basis. If you read the posts here, you will probably see that more than one person who elected to have his laptop "fixed" had it break again in about a year. The HP laptop is simply a piece of junk from a mechanical viewpoint. Breaking hinges are expected with great abuse, but simply opening and closing in a controled environment should not cause a problem in shortly more than one year (not even in 10 years). 

HP only stands behind their products during the warranty period or if you have an extended warranty. They will not fix the defective hinges on the HP Envy or other products with any kind of recall, and won't offer more than a token discount if you complain. Their answer is always the same (word for word) when you complain.

I did manage to patch my HP laptop, and so far, it has held up for a year. I posted the process on this thread last August (8/29/15). The comment link is: My HP Hinge Repair Requires you to have a little repair experience, but not too bad. Hope it helps.

HP Recommended
Hi, I've got the same problem, how do I go about fixing it?
Thanks,
Ben
HP Recommended

Ben, 

Follow my link in the previous post to a post I made about a year ago.

Basically, if the laptop is under warranty, no problem although a lot of folks say you get a laptop with the same design flaw. The hinges are too tight and they are screwed into inserts pressed into plastic frame. Also, one screw out of 3 on the left side tends to back out (probably not tight enough) putting too much stress on the remaining 2 screws. Once the screw comes out, it is only a matter of time, and the screw also tends to get stuck in the fan.

If you have a set of very small screwdrivers, magnetic pickup tool, and a bit of technical ability, you can disassemble, epoxy the inserts, loosen the left hing a bit and reassemble. So far, my HP has lasted just about as long as it did before breaking in the first place and without paying HP for another defective frame.

The other route is to complain to HP and demand they get back with you. They will send the same canned response they always do. Follow any links they give you and they will probably offer to give you a "reduced" price of about $145 to send it back for repair. They may (or may not) swap your drive into a repaired case and send back. Be sure to back everything up and don't send any add-on memory or other items because you probably won't get them back.

Basically, they outsource this service. A bunch of them come back, and are sent out for third party service where the components are swapped into a new (design flaw included) frame, cleaned up and put on the rack to send to the next unhappy HP customer in replacement for the broken one sent in.

Good luck.... 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 15inch HP Envy after about 10 months of careful use.  I ended up getting a local laptop repair shop to fix the laptop - they basically replaced the fascia that goes around the keyboard as this is the piece that has the holes that the back cover screws in to.  The repair cost me $190 but I figured it was a worthwhile investment since the laptop cost over $1000 and was otherwise in good shape.  Fast foward 4 months and the new fascia has come apart in exactly the same place.  Extremely disappointed with this poor quality design.  This will be my last HP laptop.  😞 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.