Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-r107na (ENERGY STAR)

Hello,

I have a query about the 17-r107na (ENERGY STAR)

My question regards the HDD Bays for this model. It is sold with 512GB, would it be possible to fit an extra 2,5" HDD, Without removing either the SSD or the optical drive?

Many Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you can add a 2.5 inch drive. It will not occupy the same space as the M.2 mSSD. That is why I pointed out the differences in the Manual.We have not discussed the potential warranty issues, however. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

See the Service Manual here:

Manual

Pages 34 and 51 show the hard drive and mSSD, respectively. There is a single 2.5 inch drive bay available. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Ahh, Thanks for your prompt reply.  So just to confirm you cannot have a HDD, MSSD and the optical. driverefering to page 18.

HP Recommended

Not sure where you get that from p. 18. You can have one of each. Keep in mind installing the M.2 mSSD requires removal of the motherboard and getting to the hard drive is no easy job, either. The optical drive is very easy to remove and replace. A hard drive in an optical adapter will not be bootable and will be performance crippled by the slower SATA port to which it attaches. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Sorry I think I may be causing some confusion. The model I am looking at is advertised as coming with a 512 GB M.2 SSD, and a SuperMulti DVD burner. I was wondering would there be a spare bay after these two to plug in an extra 2.5" HDD.

I want to be able to have all 3 if that is possible. I just cant tell whether the M.2 SSD uses the same bay that would be needed for an extra HDD.

Many Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes you can add a 2.5 inch drive. It will not occupy the same space as the M.2 mSSD. That is why I pointed out the differences in the Manual.We have not discussed the potential warranty issues, however. 

HP Recommended

I'm geussing as soon as you open it up you woulld void the warranty. Thank you for your advice you have been incredibly helpful.

HP Recommended

It also will not come with the caddy and cable you are going to need. Check the Manual for the part number and google around. It's available online for about $40US. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.