Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP probook 6450b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi, I have an HP probook 6450b notebook laptop, when it comes to video editing for example using premier Pro or after effects. The laptop heats up and shut down if I don't put a external fans on it. So I want to upgrade my processor with a better i7 processor which can handle video editing very well. Any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello kingpaul1,

Looks like you're in luck.:smileyhappy:

The Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor can be upgraded to the Intel® Core i7-620M and it is confirmed to work in this laptop as noted in the Maintenance and Service Guide. This is the best possible one you can get for the socket. You will get an approximate 0.4 GHz higher Turbo Boost speed and an extra MB of L3 cache.

Steps to replacement are located on page 107. Please make sure to use new thermal paste.

I did find one on eBay with 5 stars rating: https://www.ebay.com/p/Intel-Core-i7-620M-2-66-GHz-Dual-Core-CP80617003981AH-Processor/80753371

Hope this answers your question,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello kingpau1,

You would need to specify a bit further into which Core i7 you exactly have but either way, these are your options:Capture.PNG

However, I do have to inform you that you may or may not be able to upgrade the Intel Core i7-620M because it uses either the BGA1288 or PGA988 socket. 

I would advise opening up the laptop and ensuring it doesn't have the CPU  integrated into the motherboard.

Steps to replacement are located on page 107 of your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide. It will reference all other removal procedures. Please make sure to use new thermal paste.

Hope this helps,

Eddy

HP Recommended

the processor is not integrated on the mother board. 

the system informatiom for my laptop is noted below. please help me out so that i can but the right processor for my laptop,

OS Name             Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Version                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer             Microsoft Corporation

System Name    KPM-ENT-PC

System Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard

System Model   HP ProBook 6450b

System Type      x64-based PC

Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          Hewlett-Packard 68CDE Ver. F.06, 1/11/2011

SMBIOS Version               2.6

Windows Directory         C:\Windows

System Directory             C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device        \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale   United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer        Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name         KPM-Ent-PC\KPM-Ent

Time Zone           GTB Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)             8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory  7.80 GB

Available Physical Memory          4.41 GB

Total Virtual Memory     15.6 GB

Available Virtual Memory             11.6 GB

Page File Space 7.80 GB

Page File              C:\pagefile.sys

HP Recommended

Hello kingpaul1,

Looks like you're in luck.:smileyhappy:

The Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor can be upgraded to the Intel® Core i7-620M and it is confirmed to work in this laptop as noted in the Maintenance and Service Guide. This is the best possible one you can get for the socket. You will get an approximate 0.4 GHz higher Turbo Boost speed and an extra MB of L3 cache.

Steps to replacement are located on page 107. Please make sure to use new thermal paste.

I did find one on eBay with 5 stars rating: https://www.ebay.com/p/Intel-Core-i7-620M-2-66-GHz-Dual-Core-CP80617003981AH-Processor/80753371

Hope this answers your question,

Eddy

HP Recommended
Thanks so much. I will update you when it's solved
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.