Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
dv7-3085dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Dear Friends,
Hope all is well.
I have several HP AC Adapters OEM.
They will charge the Laptop and show/indicate that down in the right hand bottom corner of the taskbar that when you plug the adapter in the icon shows a power cord and indicates the amount of charge remaining or if its charging it will show that amount and the icon battery charging line.
One of my adapters  however will charge the laptop fully, but  it will not display that the adapter is plugged in and is in FACT charging as stated above.

I have tried different AC cords and uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery to no avail.
Any suggestions pleeze!

Thanks again,
Raphael

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@ABHenry, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The adapter that you have issues with, is it a HP genuine part?

Did it come with the PC?

Was it working fine before?

This also could be a limitation of the AC adapter and will have to check the specifications of the same.

For now, Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank YOU!
There are NO Updates available via HP support assistant.
All the AC Adapters are genuine HP adapters.
One is 120 watt and a 90 watt and two 65 watt. One of the 65 watt adapters will charge the computer, but does not indicate it is charging down in the task bar. With any of the other adapters when you unplug them and plug them back in the screen will changes in brightness. That is not the case with the adapter in question here. Perhaps its flaky?! 
On the very end of the adapter plug that goes into the computer there is a thin plastic lip..a tiny piece of that has broken off. I do not see any thing from the inner and outer part of the plug end that would indicate a short of some kind. You can see the thin wall of plastic insulation between the inner and outer part of the plug end as you look down on it.
That's all I know.
Thank you,
Raphael

HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!
The BIOS is up to date.
Best, Ralph

HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

I recommend you contact support as it looks like a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate that information...but anything older then 5-7 years is considered a dinosaur and they usually encourage you to "buy new" 
The adapter is out of spec I'm guessing something is flaky about it. And seeing the other adapters work as they should I'm not going to spend another day trying to reason or find help at HP. I was hoping it might be something simple...
IMHO messing with the BIOS for this was or is a waste of time.
Take care...

HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

It looks like an issue with the connector or the DC port on the computer. I recommend you get it checked locally if you do not want to contact support.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry! nope! 

the port is brand new and just replaced.
ALL the other adapters work.
Tx
😉

HP Recommended

@ABHenry

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.