Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ba072nc (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

cpu.PNGHello,

I am struggling with performance issues while using my HP Notebook.  [(15-ba072nc (ENERGY STAR)]

For some reason, my CPU limits itself to 1,99Ghz no matter what. I tried stressing the CPU with AIDA64 but it keeps the CPU limited to a maximum 83% usage and frequency mentioned above. 

In the control panel (Power Options) I set the settings to 'Max Performance'. I reinstalled the drivers and did a BIOS update as well, set the settings back to basics (factory). Nothing really helped, so the notebook is running really slow.

I have a 128Gb SSD and 8GBs of DDR4 Memory (Dual Channel). The CPU's base frequency is 2,4Ghz and has Turbo mode of 3,3Ghz.

What else should I do to solve this issue? It is really annoying because I can't even watch a 1080p Youtube video without fps drops.

Thanks for the help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@balazs2000 Welcome to HP Community!

Here's a video on how to disable the "turbo mode" that could be causing this issue: Click here

If you aren't able to disable it permanently, use the below steps:

• If you are running windows 8 it could be an admin rights problem.
  • Navigate to this folder:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static
  • Find CCC.exe, right click>properties>compatibility tab
  • Tick the 'run this program as an administrator' option and hit ok.
  • Do the same thing for MOM.exe

You may have to restart the PC for the changes to take effect, then try disabling overdrive, restart the device again to see if it fixes it.'

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the mentioned options. Neither of them worked.

HP Recommended

@balazs2000 I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This method was unsuccessful too. 😞

HP Recommended

@balazs2000 If it had been working fine at purchase, you may want to consider creating a backup of all important data and reset windows using the steps mentioned in this link: click here for details.

If it never worked fine, please run a hardware test using the below steps:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.