Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 4171us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Pavilion's Phenom ll 850 N processor's triple-core is now operating on only one core.  About a year ago one of the cores failed after I replaced the OEM board with a remanufactured board which supposedly was modified with an upgraded heat sink chip set to improve cooling.  The remanufactured board lasted three weeks short of a year before one of the cores failed.  (I installed Core Temp 2.8 RC to monitor internal processor temperatures; the program monitors individual cores for temperature and/or individual processor loads.)  At first, the program displayed the 3 cores' operating info. Then, about a year ago, one of the cores failed to read any longer showing only the message "pwr 0" for one of the cores where it had once registered  the cores' temperature and load.  Three days ago prior to the date of this post another core failed to register any information.  I accessed msconfig >Boot and clicked on Advanced Options>Number of processors and sure enough, it's showing only one  processor!  I had recently made the following software changes to my computer:  Restored my computer to factory out-of-the-box condition in order to deal with a problem with iTunes' latest software release not registering my iPhone.  That action of course entailed reinstalling all the Windows 7 updates and patches since 2010.

The problem I had with iTunes was, when plugging-in my iPhone, it didn't register,  and a dialog box kept popping up saying "windows service pack (SP 1) is not installed".  I checked my history of installed MS Windows updates and it showed that SP 1 was indeed installed, successfully.  Instead of allowing the usual Windows updater to download and install, with the usual repeated restarts, I went to the MS Windows Server Update Service to acquire a new method of updating for windows 7  which is to download the Windows 7 Roll-Up  package.   This fixed my problem with iTunes.  The reason I've been long-winded about this is because these are the recent problems and changes in detail, that I've been experiencing with my computer and there are also hints about Microsoft creating fresh problems for Windows 7 users by trying, once again, to "force" the upgrade to MS 10.  This so-called " Roll-Up" package is in question by some.  There is one more very odd  thing regarding my processors:  Two days ago I reinstalled the Core Temp program.   I then noticed that the core that had failed a year ago suddenly began functioning!   All three cores were functioning simultaniously.  It lasted this way for three days.  Then, I noticed that the computer began running much slower than normal.  I looked and saw that now, two of the three cores have failed!  It reminded me of what sometimes happens to a light bulb when it suddenly burns brighter just before it burns out.  It would appear that my processor is on the way to complete failure but it makes me wonder

because the one, long-failed core came back to life, albeit briefly.  I'd greatly appreciate any diagnosis and suggestions about how I can determine if the processor is at end-of-life or might the problem be elsewhere.  Thanks so much.

P.S.  Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain a:  (1) quality  motherboard -HP 615686-001 Socket S 

(2) an upgraded processor for the same board?

Thanks again.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are doing fine as far as navigating the Forum. I got your PM. I seriously have zero experience with processors that lose one of the cores and still function but now I am convinced that is what is happening to you, whether from a defect in the CPU, motherboard or both. 

I would replace the processor first as that might do the trick and AMD processors are generally not expensive. The triple core never quite caught on. It was actually a bit of a gimmick by AMD. When they run (produce, manufacture) processors there are a lot of discards in making quad cores as I guess it is a very exacting process prone to error. So Intel, for example winds up with a lot of 3 core processors when trying to make Quad Cores. Intel throws theirs away; AMD sold theirs as Triple Cores. 

The processor is socketed (not soldered to motherboard-removable, replaceable) and you could actually install any of the AMD processors listed in the manual. 

CPU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-x3-N850-2-2GHz-1-5MB-s1-LP-HMN850DCR32GM-Laptop-CPU-/131323871...

Service manual

Motherboard:

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 discrete graphics and 512-MB of dedicated memory with subwoofer 615686-001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-DV7-4000-Series-AMD-Motherboard-615686-001-/262938481243?hash=it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HP-DV7-DV7-4000-DV7-4051NR-DV7-4170US-DV7-4069WM-AMD-Motherboard-615686-...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You seem to be relying on the temperature monitor program to tell if the cores are working and you should actually be using task manager/performance/cpu and right click on the graph and choose to change graph to logical processors and you can see multiple cores if they exist:

cores.jpg

It will show only one processor until you set the graph to display information on all logical processors. There IS only ONE processor it has multiple CORES. It would be really odd for a processor to drop cores and go on functioning. 

We can certainly find you a motherboard and a new processor if that is the way you want to go with it. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Julian A Smith_4_29_54 PM.jpgJulian A Smith_4_46_13 PM.jpgDear Huffer,  thank you for a quick response to my post.  The program that I referred to, i.e., Core Temp, is used by many to monitor internal processor temperatures, and does so by displaying the number of processor cores that are present and assigning a temperature to each core.  I mentioned that I am running a AMD Phenom ll 850N processor which, as an HP expert, you know it to be a triple-core processor.  As of now, the Task Manager is displaying only one core present and in service.  (By the way, thank you for your clarification  concerning the differences between the terms processor and core.)  Nevertheless, however it has come about, my triple-core processor is now running on only one core.  The UserBenchmark PC speed Test Tool  (http://www.userbenchmark.com/Software) verifies only a single core is currently operating, so apparently, the "odd" thing has occured!  Please note the test results listed under the benchmark as being for a single core.  Also, the Core Temp program is displaying the temperature for a single core as being 153f; it's showing another core as having failed (pwr=0), and I don't know where the 3rd core escaped to.  It appears that the processor is on its way out and I don't think it, by itself, can be replaced because it is an integral part of the motherboard which is why I enquired of you about where I could obtain a quality replacement board.  I visited the HP site and my OEM board replacement no. comes up as currently unavailable.  Is it possible to install an upgraded MB/processor?  I don't think it is but I have to ask.  Anyway, thank you for any help and/or suggestions.

HP Recommended

You are doing fine as far as navigating the Forum. I got your PM. I seriously have zero experience with processors that lose one of the cores and still function but now I am convinced that is what is happening to you, whether from a defect in the CPU, motherboard or both. 

I would replace the processor first as that might do the trick and AMD processors are generally not expensive. The triple core never quite caught on. It was actually a bit of a gimmick by AMD. When they run (produce, manufacture) processors there are a lot of discards in making quad cores as I guess it is a very exacting process prone to error. So Intel, for example winds up with a lot of 3 core processors when trying to make Quad Cores. Intel throws theirs away; AMD sold theirs as Triple Cores. 

The processor is socketed (not soldered to motherboard-removable, replaceable) and you could actually install any of the AMD processors listed in the manual. 

CPU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-x3-N850-2-2GHz-1-5MB-s1-LP-HMN850DCR32GM-Laptop-CPU-/131323871...

Service manual

Motherboard:

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 discrete graphics and 512-MB of dedicated memory with subwoofer 615686-001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-DV7-4000-Series-AMD-Motherboard-615686-001-/262938481243?hash=it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HP-DV7-DV7-4000-DV7-4051NR-DV7-4170US-DV7-4069WM-AMD-Motherboard-615686-...

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer, thank you for your help with my failing processor core problem.  I've decided to start with upgrading my microprocessor and I could use your help.  After narrowing down the group of candidates for processor replacement my first choice would be a Phenom ll Quad-Core HMX940HIR42GM BE.  In theory it should be compatible with my board as it seems to fit the necessary requirements, i.e., socket fit, TDP is within acceptable range, core-stepping, DDR3, HyperTrans.

are identical to the OEM X3 N850.  The only area I'm not sure about is the BIOS; I went to CPU-WORLD.com Upgrade/CPU-Compatibility/Motherboard Chart (http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/cgi-bin/SearchMB.pl?MB=hp&ACTION=Search) and my parlicular HP model and series is'nt listed, however, as I stated, my first choice for a replacement processor falls within the necessary operating parameters of the original processor.  Is there another way to determine compatibility?  (HP Pavilion Dv7 4171us/ MoBo-615686-00)  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

That would be nice if you could install the X940 black edition. But I said:

"The processor is socketed (not soldered to motherboard-removable, replaceable) and you could actually install any of the AMD processors listed in the manual. "

The x940 might work (I think not) but there is no way to know 100% for sure without trying it. As far as I know, HP never sold that processor in any of its laptops is why I am skeptical it will work. It's also likely much pricier than the one I suggested, isn't it? 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer, I beg your indulence-I would not be tedious about this issue- but whenever I am unclear about an issue, or have any remaining questions, I feel duty-bound to persue the issue until logic dictates a conclusion has been reached  or until joy is declared.  That being said,  my position on whether or not a certain processor may be used as part of an upgrade is that, just because a manufacturer never offered that processor with their machines does not necessarily  mean that it could not be used as part of an upgrade at a later date.  The reasons for this particular processor not being offered may include:  1. The processor was not available at the time of manufacture of my machine.  2. This particular processor has the ability to be over-clocked and HP may actively discourage any such actions, especially since damage may occur and that may, in turn, involve the issue of warranties.  As I stated earlier the X940 conforms to ALL of the minimum operating parameters of the OEM  processor.  The only parameter in question that is uncertain is that of the BIOS, and so, my question is what in the BIOS might hinder the X920 from operating properly in the computer?  Thank you Huffer.

HP Recommended

How many times have you done this? I have done it dozens of times and I can explain that the BIOS is generally written to accept specific processors. It is like a whitelist I guess. But every once in a while a processor not on the list will work. Hey give it a shot. 

HP Recommended

Thank you Huffer-I only wanted to know why, if all other things appear equal, might a processor fail to work with the rest of the motherboard configuration....I was not questioning your expertise, only wondering what it is about the BIOS that would cause it to reject working with a particular processor.  Is is possible to re-flash the BIOS with another version of software to make it work an otherwise incompatible processor?  Thank you sir.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.