Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay191nia
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP 15-ay191nia Laptop, I would like to know if it's possible to to press F1-F12 keys without holding fn key ?

let's say if I have to refresh a web page than just by pressing F5 key wont refresh the page, instead I will have to first hold the fn key and than press the F5.

I looked on Internet some people say to disable this is BIOS but there is no option in BIOS to disable it.

Can any one please help me in disabling the fn key, as it is quite frustrating.

Thanks

BIOS Version : InsydeH20 Version 05.11.34F.24

Windows 10 Pro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ithinkunome,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will be glad to help you HP Notebook - 15-ay191nia.

I see you would like to disable to Fn key so that you can use F1 to F12 keys without holding the Fn key.

You can disable or enable the Fn key functionality using the BIOS utility.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Click on this link to further troubleshoot the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope the issue gets resolved without hassle.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheer! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ithinkunome,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will be glad to help you HP Notebook - 15-ay191nia.

I see you would like to disable to Fn key so that you can use F1 to F12 keys without holding the Fn key.

You can disable or enable the Fn key functionality using the BIOS utility.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Click on this link to further troubleshoot the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope the issue gets resolved without hassle.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheer! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks this solved my issue

HP Recommended

Hi @ithinkunome,

Glad to hear it is working fine! 🙂

Superb job on trying the steps to resolve the issue.

You are simply awesome. Kudos to you.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

Take care! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Support,

I got the same problem.

I followed your instructions but when I access BIOS settings I cannot find any "Action Keys Mode" setting.

I got a HP ProBook 450 G4 laptop with Windows 10 64-bit.

How can I deal with it?

HP Recommended

Yes this is quite frustrating..  We need to restrar the system if we want to get ride of the FN key.. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.