Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My question is how to install an SATA 3 Samsung 850 ssd in the HP Zbook studio 3g. The manual shows how to remove one that has a mounting bracket, but there seems to be no available SATA 3 bracket in parts for the Studio. I opened Studio G3 and did not find a SATA 3 connector. I'm not sure whether a regular 2.5 inch bracket can be used and anchored to the space in the Studio G3.  In addition, how do you get a SATA 3 connector or  where does one find a SATA 3 connector inside the Studio G3 space? There's plenty of space for a 2.5 inch SSD.

Thanks,

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 31 and particularly 32-33. This laptop does not take a standard SATA SSD, but a special drive. 

HP Recommended

Maybe this might help?

Solid-state drive bracket (included in Bracket Kit, spare part number 840966-001) 840966-001 (Bracket Kit

HP Recommended

there are only 2 positions for SSD in zbook studio, both for M.2 format SSDs, 2280 size, PCIe or SATA versions.

So if you want to buy second drive for studio, buy M.2 SSD - if you got one position free, means only one physical drive is present.

classic 2.5" drive or SSD will not fit.

HP Recommended

Very cryptic:

Service Manual

See p. 33. There is a 2.5 inch drive of some sort but there is no spare parts reference. Not sure what it is. 

HP Recommended

Thank you all for your replies. I ordered the part listed for this but it clearly was not meant to install a SATA 3 normal drive.

It seems the consensus is that you have to buy an M2 format SSD. Ouch, they're expensive.

Thanks again,

Bob

HP Recommended

Hi Bob - Did you get your mounting kit?  I'm in the same boat as you - new Studio G3, 256GB factory-supplied drive, and an empty 2.5" bay.  Yet there's no SATA connector - only M.2.  I'm curious to know if the mounting kit shown in the manual included a SATA to M.2 connector?

It does seem odd that this laptop would have a full size 2.5" drive bay - but no way to install same.

HP Recommended

I gave up because it seems that it's not possible to install a SATA 3 SSD in the ZBooks. I purchased a external case with a Thunderbolt connector and cable. It works well in the Thunderbolt slot.

Bob

HP Recommended

I had a bad experience when trying to add a 2.5" SATA SSD to the G3.

First I was told by tech service and I ordered and received a part number for a M.2 bracket.

Next I was told by customer service and I ordered and received a part number for a 2.5" bracket for G2 and earlier.

Finally I was told to order the correct one and It came in and fit my 2.5" drive, plus it came in with a adapter cable. P/N: 848231-001

After I ordered the last one I had an email conversation with "Resolve Help Desk" who was answering my complaint about their poor customer and technical service. The conversation led to an email where they say there is no other drives that work in the G3 other than their proprietary drive.

Well that sucks because I have a 2TB SSD that I can only use external?

I may try the drive anyways, the adapter fits, so why would they change anything?

Hopefully it works.

Also, I have just switched from Dell to HP and I am regretting my decision.

UPDATE: I tried a standard SATA drive and even though the cable fits, there is no place to plug the other end of the adapter cable and the drive would not physically fit so it must be a proprietary drive!!!!

HP Recommended

Well it looks like you're lucky - you got the part number for the adaptor cable.  That alone would have helped!

I ended up buying a Samsung EVO M.2 drive for about half the price of the recommended HP equivalent.  There are apparently 2 different form factors for the M.2 interface cards - mine is the longer version and it fits perfectly in my ZBook Studio.

So far, it's proved a good workstation.  Keyboard is a bit flimsey (or that's just my heavy typing!) and the screen bezel keeps falling away from the laptop lid (despite being replaced already).  Not so impressed with the build quality as my old (but heavier) ZBook G2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.