Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t-cg000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How to add a SATA SSD drive to my new 2020 HP ENVY 17t-cg000 CTO? Does HP sell a kit? If not, where is it available?

Thanks

NPATL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@NPATL

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to install an SSD on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that your computer supports a dual hard drive configuration and you can install two hard drives on the computer. As you have a customized laptop I am not sure about your current hardware configuration. However, I recommend you refer to the below service guide for your computer and it has all the information you are looking for.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06598442

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@NPATL

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to install an SSD on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that your computer supports a dual hard drive configuration and you can install two hard drives on the computer. As you have a customized laptop I am not sure about your current hardware configuration. However, I recommend you refer to the below service guide for your computer and it has all the information you are looking for.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06598442

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. You are great!

I checked, but the internal SATA cable, part number L87952-001 is not available from HP. DO you have any information where this cable would be available?

Thanks,

Norman

HP Recommended

@NPATL

You need to check online and you should be able to get it online.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bummer.

I could not find a site  in the US that would have this cable listed. I have to install an external system drive.

HP Recommended

@NPATL

You can use any SATA cable and it should work fine.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried three different cables from Amazon and none have worked. Has anyone actually added an internal drive successfully to the Envy 17t-CG000? If so, what specific cable worked? 

HP Recommended

I tried all the solutions listed in the forum post and nothing worked. I tried the recommended cable from Amazon and the actual cable was too short. I then tried another from Amazon that looked like the cable was long enough, and it was indeed, but the end connect was too narrow for the MB connector. Out of frustration I opened a chat with HP support and low and behold this part can be ordered from HP. I think I paid a total of around $33.00 to have it shipped by FedEx from Houston, TX to SouthEast Virginia. I have installed the cable on a 1TB SSD drive and mounted it in the laptop. I am please to say that it works. I was able to see the drive through Disk Management, assign a letter, format it for NTFS and copy some files to it. Everything seems to be work. Next up is to install Manjaro Linux on the drive and then setup up dual-boot (Windows from the Nvme drive and Linux from the SSD). Cross my fingers that this will work.

If anyone wants pics of the drive installed and the box it came in, I can send them to you. Just send me an email to

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended
Hello I have the same problem. I can't find this cable (12pin) for my envy 17 cg33. It's the same cable. I am in France. Who can I ask to get this cable? Thank you very much Gregg_VA for your encouraging response.

HP Recommended

same problem for me:
The 10 wire SATA adapter does not work; connector on main board is 12 pin.
Got a ENVY 17-cg1xxx Modell No  2T0V7EA#ABD.Any spare part number available - or supplier  (preferably Germany)?
Is there a special service manual for that Modell No? The ones I got do not fit completely.

Thanks   AToe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.