Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
A3E82AV
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello community,

I have a Pavilion dv6 (model dv6t-7000). It has currently a SSD with 160GB which is very small in today's standrds.

I read I can add a second harddrive/SSD by using a caddy in place of the existing DVD/CD reader/writer.

My first question is what are the limits on the harddrive I can add - I would like to add a harddrive with large storage (say 1GB) and 7200 RPM. Am I limited to certain models of harddrives? What Harddrive of 1GB or 500GB would fit?

Second question is in a link: Is there a good link that describes the process and the technical specs/details of such a process?

Thank you,

Jorani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jorani,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to add a hard drive in the place of the DVD drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

You can add a hard drive in place of the DVD drive using a hard drive caddy and you can install 1 TB hard drive without any issues.

You can search online, and you will find a lot of websites explaining the complete process. However, there is no HP article explaining the same and HP doesn’t recommend it. You can try it at your own discretion.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jorani,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to add a hard drive in the place of the DVD drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

You can add a hard drive in place of the DVD drive using a hard drive caddy and you can install 1 TB hard drive without any issues.

You can search online, and you will find a lot of websites explaining the complete process. However, there is no HP article explaining the same and HP doesn’t recommend it. You can try it at your own discretion.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank!

I hope to try to do it in a few weeks. When I do it I will document the process here under this post.

HP Recommended

@jorani,

Perfect! If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for helping.

Just a quick question on the caddy itself please, I see there are two thickness on the market 9.5m"m and 12.7m"m, which caddy I need for my laptop, the 9.5 or 12.7?

My laptop:

Pavilion dv6
Product: A3E82AV
Model: dv6t-7000

Thanks,

Jorani

HP Recommended

@jorani,

Based on the specifications of your computer it is 12.7-mm tray load. However, I recommend you remove the DVD drive and check it physically.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did add the second hard drive by replacing the dvd with a caddy - all worked fine.

Adding info as reference, for anyone who may be doing the same and may find this info useful.

I confirm that for my laptop (Pavilion dv6, Product: A3E82AV, Model: dv6t-7000) the caddy size should be 12.7.

I used following caddy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B78SD66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And following hard disk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RJS55D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All worked fine. I had one issue where the small holes in the caddy that hold the metal tong to lock the caddy with a screw to laptop were too small for the original screws. I had to use a drill of 1/16" to enlarge VERY LITTLE the holes.

Also: When all was done, had to run compmgmt.msc (Hold down the Windows Key and press R,  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc ) in order to setup the new drive so Windows 7 could recognize it.

Thanks the Fossette for helping.

HP Recommended

Hi @jorani

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.