Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-au084tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to add RAM to my HP Pavilion 15-au084tx notebook.  Notebook have 2 slot, slot 1 have 4 GB DDR4 with Max bandwidth DDR4-2134 (1067 MHz). DRAM Manuf - SK Hynix.  Part No -HMA451S6AFR8N-TF  Ranks -Single. 2nd Slot is empty. So, if I want to upgrade RAM after removing slot 1 RAM and adding with  "Crucial  16-GB 2400MHz 260-Pin SO-DIMM". Is it okay to upgrade with 16-GB RAM with 2400 MHz clock cycle. Or I can add only  2nd slot to 4-GB RAM...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes - You can use 1 x 16GB stick, or leave the 4GB in there to give you total 20GB. The 16GB stick will only run at 2133MHz though I'd say.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes - You can use 1 x 16GB stick, or leave the 4GB in there to give you total 20GB. The 16GB stick will only run at 2133MHz though I'd say.

HP Recommended

Sir, someone says

Your laptop supports a maximum of 16GB RAM and you have 2 x DIMM slots. Each slot can only support 8GB RAM. So, a single 16 GB RAM Module will not work on your laptop. We would req you to go with 2 x 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM if you are going for an upgrade. Anything above 2133 Mhz either it will not work or the RAM will still operate at 2133 Mhz.

I am confused with this answer. Please send a link of my laptop motherboard specification manuals, if you have.

HP Recommended

There is no motherboard specifications manual the Service Manual is all there is. The answer given is actually correct. HP says in the Manual that 16 gb total or 8 gb single module is the maximum but this is not the case. The laptop will work with 16 gb modules and can handle 32 gb total memory. This has been proven over and over again on any system with DDR4 SO-DIMM memory and 2 memory slots. 

Your Service Manual 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.