Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In my ProBook 450 g5, this 4 GB ram is installed. SK-hynix-HMA851S6CJR6N-PC4-2666V-2666MHz.

Now I want to add this RAM Crucial Ddr4 2400 MHz c17 8 gb .

Will these two work fully in dual channel mode?

It is to be noted that the Hynix ram only operates at 2400 MHz on my bios.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

No they will not.

In order for memory to run in DDR mode, you have to install it in matching capacities, so 4 + 8 will run in SDR mode.

For DDR, you need 4 + 4 or 8 + 8.

Get the 8, and when you can afford it, remove and replace the 4 GB chip with an 8 GB chip so the memory will run in DDR mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

No they will not.

In order for memory to run in DDR mode, you have to install it in matching capacities, so 4 + 8 will run in SDR mode.

For DDR, you need 4 + 4 or 8 + 8.

Get the 8, and when you can afford it, remove and replace the 4 GB chip with an 8 GB chip so the memory will run in DDR mode.

HP Recommended

But I thought 8+4 combo will work! I already ordered the crucial 8gb RAM on Amazon as it was on sale for prime day. I saw on some forums that 8+4 combo works, but in a slower pace. So, should I cancel my order an buy a 4 GB variant? Will that be better in performance?

HP Recommended

It's hard to say if 2 x 4 GB running in DDR mode will perform better than 8 + 4 GB running in SDR mode.

With the 8 GB setup the memory is optimized for performance, but with 8 + 4 GB you have more memory.

I would not cx the order.  I would do what I suggested earlier.

Live with the 12 GB for now, and then upgrade to 16 GB in DDR mode by removing the 4 GB chip and replacing it with the 8 GB chip.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.