Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In my ProBook 450 g5, this 4 GB ram is installed. SK-hynix-HMA851S6CJR6N-PC4-2666V-2666MHz.

Now I want to add this RAM Crucial Ddr4 2400 MHz c17 8 gb .

Will these two work fully in dual channel mode?

It is to be noted that the Hynix ram only operates at 2400 MHz on my bios.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

No they will not.

In order for memory to run in DDR mode, you have to install it in matching capacities, so 4 + 8 will run in SDR mode.

For DDR, you need 4 + 4 or 8 + 8.

Get the 8, and when you can afford it, remove and replace the 4 GB chip with an 8 GB chip so the memory will run in DDR mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

No they will not.

In order for memory to run in DDR mode, you have to install it in matching capacities, so 4 + 8 will run in SDR mode.

For DDR, you need 4 + 4 or 8 + 8.

Get the 8, and when you can afford it, remove and replace the 4 GB chip with an 8 GB chip so the memory will run in DDR mode.

HP Recommended

But I thought 8+4 combo will work! I already ordered the crucial 8gb RAM on Amazon as it was on sale for prime day. I saw on some forums that 8+4 combo works, but in a slower pace. So, should I cancel my order an buy a 4 GB variant? Will that be better in performance?

HP Recommended

It's hard to say if 2 x 4 GB running in DDR mode will perform better than 8 + 4 GB running in SDR mode.

With the 8 GB setup the memory is optimized for performance, but with 8 + 4 GB you have more memory.

I would not cx the order.  I would do what I suggested earlier.

Live with the 12 GB for now, and then upgrade to 16 GB in DDR mode by removing the 4 GB chip and replacing it with the 8 GB chip.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.