Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw028ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my 15-bw028ca laptop by adding an SSD drive.

However, even after reviewing the hardware guide for 15-bw0XX laptops, it is not clear to me what are my options.  Basically, I need to know which option is available with this model.

(1) Keep the 1 TB HDD and add an SSD M.2 drive (then clone and reassign boot to the SSD).  It seems to me that there is a separate connector for this type of SSD drive?

(2) Replace the 1 TB HDD with a 2.5" SSD drive after purchasing the adaptor from HP.

I am assuming that option 2 IS available so my question is really whether I can just ADD an SSD M.2 drive to this laptop.  That would be the best option.

Can anyone clarify this?  Perhaps someone has already done such an upgrade for this model line?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This laptop very likely but not 100% certainly has an M.2 slot on the motherboard as shown here:

M.2 slot in purple rectangleM.2 slot in purple rectangle

Before you buy anything open the laptop and check for the presence of that slot. If there, it would accept a M.2 2280 form factor SATA (NOT NVME) SSD. 

Service Manual 

Start on p. 41 for "how to". OR, you can replace the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. You would not need any mounting hardware or adapter as the 2.5 inch SSD fits in the same caddy and uses the same connector as the HDD. 

You can clone the existing software to the new drive or reinstall Windows 10. You need no Key Code to do so its automatically activated. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This laptop very likely but not 100% certainly has an M.2 slot on the motherboard as shown here:

M.2 slot in purple rectangleM.2 slot in purple rectangle

Before you buy anything open the laptop and check for the presence of that slot. If there, it would accept a M.2 2280 form factor SATA (NOT NVME) SSD. 

Service Manual 

Start on p. 41 for "how to". OR, you can replace the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. You would not need any mounting hardware or adapter as the 2.5 inch SSD fits in the same caddy and uses the same connector as the HDD. 

You can clone the existing software to the new drive or reinstall Windows 10. You need no Key Code to do so its automatically activated. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your response.   Yes, I will remove the back and have a look for the M.2 slot.  That would be the ideal solution for me to speed up the laptop's performance.

I will let you know how this goes.

Again, gracias for taking the time to respond.

HP Recommended

Finally removed the backing to examine the motherboard.  Unfortunately, there is NOT an SSD socket.  The MB shows the pins where it could have been.

20210325_092734_Small.jpg20210325_092726_Cropped.jpg

So my only alternative now is to purchase an SSD drive to replace the 1 TB 5400 RPM drive that came with the laptop.

Are you able to give me

* the exact specs for purchasing a replacement SSD (2.5" ??  SATA)

* do I need to purchase any kind of adaptor from HP for the SSD?

I would also appreciate a link or pointer to how one FIRST clones the SSD from the existing HDD in the laptop before replacing the HDD with the SDD.  It would seem I will need a USB adaptor for the SSD drive to do this?

Any help will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

You are lucky you asked here in the Forum as we are aware of this problem on this model series where the HP phone support, if you had managed to reach them, would have told you the M.2 slot was absolutely there because that's what the Manual says. Yes it would be a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. They are readily available and I have yet to find a bad one on the market. Samsung 860 or 870 Evo is "best in class" but you can buy on price. There is very little difference among them in performance.

The 2.5 inch SATA SSD is externally the same as a 2.5 inch hard drive i.e. mounting holes and attachment to the motherboard so the mount used for the HDD also works for SSD. 

Get an inexpensive usb to SATA adapter. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Valuegist-Drive-Adapter-Cable-Converter/dp/B07GLPNRWK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1...

I use Macrium Reflect Free to clone. Just google that. Download and install it on the laptop. Select "make recovery media" from Macrium and make a usb flash drive which will be bootable. Boot system from it and have the new SSD in place, attached to the usb adapter and plugged in. Follow prompts to clone the existing hard drive to the SSD. Best results if the SSD is at least as large as the HDD, but it can be smaller as long as not smaller than the amount of data on the HDD. Do the clone. Swap the SSD into the HDD slot and boot the computer. Enjoy the speed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.