Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 745 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a refurbished unit but i dont think that should matter.   Currently has 8 gigs of DDR3-1866 PC3L-14900S SODIMM.  When i purchased another 8 gig stick of this to place in the #2 slot  the computer turns on but wont boot.   Any ideas on what is happening?    The only thing i find is that the 14900 is the wrong ram for this computer and it i should be using 12800  from what i have seen.  Is this true? 

I did update the bios to the latest version  when i had the boot issue but i havent tried to install the ram again.   The bios didnt list any memory compatibility so i doubt thats the issue.   Ill try the stick again tonight and see if that made any difference. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is the wrong memory. Specified RAM is DDR3L-1600 or PC3L-12800 (different words describing same thing). 

Still, DDR3L-1866/PC3L-14900 should downclock and work. Your refurbisher obviously only had the 1866 on hand and used it, knowing it would downclock. The memory will never run at 1866 speed.

You want to try each stick separately in each slot to rule out a bad memory slot and examine the original module and the new one for density (how many black blocks on the side) and check the online specifications for latency (CL=?). It is harder to get two non-standard modules to work together than it is to get just one of them to work, particularly if they are different density and/or latency. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

That is the wrong memory. Specified RAM is DDR3L-1600 or PC3L-12800 (different words describing same thing). 

Still, DDR3L-1866/PC3L-14900 should downclock and work. Your refurbisher obviously only had the 1866 on hand and used it, knowing it would downclock. The memory will never run at 1866 speed.

You want to try each stick separately in each slot to rule out a bad memory slot and examine the original module and the new one for density (how many black blocks on the side) and check the online specifications for latency (CL=?). It is harder to get two non-standard modules to work together than it is to get just one of them to work, particularly if they are different density and/or latency. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.