Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 13-c019tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will be going to do further my BE Engineering courses for 4 yeras from now into the Computer Science field and i have heard that it requires some not too big but not too small programs to install on PC i OWN THE hp STREAM 13 laptop i know that it cant be upgraded to better SSD STORAGE but can i use an external hardisk with USB 3.0 uSB INTERFACE to store and install apps & PROGRAMS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Very hard to run apps from external storage because some part of the app has to be registered in the registry and .dll files need to be in the /Windows folder anyway so you cannot entirely segregate programs onto an external storage medium. 

You might consider a secure digital (SD) card to expand the storage. A Class 10 fast SD card can be installed and pretty much converted to permanent storage you can carry around with you inside the laptop. Data and programs can be installed to the SD card. I have seen them up to 512 gigs. 

But to intervene with the voice of reason, if you are going into Engineering and Computer Science I think you are going to have to think in terms of a laptop other than the Stream. You are going to find it underpowered to do 3D engineering drawing and compile Code. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Very hard to run apps from external storage because some part of the app has to be registered in the registry and .dll files need to be in the /Windows folder anyway so you cannot entirely segregate programs onto an external storage medium. 

You might consider a secure digital (SD) card to expand the storage. A Class 10 fast SD card can be installed and pretty much converted to permanent storage you can carry around with you inside the laptop. Data and programs can be installed to the SD card. I have seen them up to 512 gigs. 

But to intervene with the voice of reason, if you are going into Engineering and Computer Science I think you are going to have to think in terms of a laptop other than the Stream. You are going to find it underpowered to do 3D engineering drawing and compile Code. 

HP Recommended
Well now i was thinking of the same , are there any offers going on In Mumbai...INDIA for upgrade of laptops to a better version in which i can exchange my stream for some other HP laptop...also can u suggest me some laptops for my further studies .... But under 30k if possible
HP Recommended

I would try to sell your laptop on the India equivalent of Craigslist or eBay. It is still worth a fair price to someone who needs that kind of laptop. Look at the basic HP Laptop 15.6 inch. I can't really see what is available in India, but I was able to configure one with an i3 processor and 4 gigs of RAM for less than $400US. 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryI...

HP Recommended
Thanx a lot but problems that In India we dont have so much options and while one hp laptop is imported or of any other brand all custom duties cause a heck this laptop can cost me more 10k .... still thnx i will see now
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.