Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Spectre X360, an Apple Thunderbolt display, and a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter. When I plug the adapter into the Spectre's USB-C port, Windows gives a "USB device not recognized" error.

Has anyone been able to get this kind of setup to work?

I found a similar issue (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Apple-Thunderbolt-display-with-S...) that suggests there's a problem with the HP firmware where it won't work with older thunderbolt displays. And in that thread, HP released a firmware configuration utility to make this work. But when I try to run this utility on my device, it says that it doesn't support this computer. 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @nicksantos, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand Apple Thunderbolt display and a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

As you mentioned you are using apple display and using thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter and you are getting error "USB device not recognized".

Please try the steps recommended below.

Unzip the downloaded Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-Tool.zip file.
Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Intel NUC. The firmware update tool will not run if there isn’t
a device connected.
Note: If the New Thunderbolt devices have been attached window opens when you connect
the device, click OK, make a selection, then click OK again.
Double-click FWUpdateTool.exe to start the program.
Click Next on the Welcome screen.
Select the Thunderbolt controller, then click Next.
Browse to the folder where you unzipped the tool and select the firmware .bin file. Then click
Next.
To start the update process, click the Start Thunderbolt™ firmware update button
A progress bar will display during the update.

Refer the article from intel website directly for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @nicksantos, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand Apple Thunderbolt display and a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

As you mentioned you are using apple display and using thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter and you are getting error "USB device not recognized".

Please try the steps recommended below.

Unzip the downloaded Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-Tool.zip file.
Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Intel NUC. The firmware update tool will not run if there isn’t
a device connected.
Note: If the New Thunderbolt devices have been attached window opens when you connect
the device, click OK, make a selection, then click OK again.
Double-click FWUpdateTool.exe to start the program.
Click Next on the Welcome screen.
Select the Thunderbolt controller, then click Next.
Browse to the folder where you unzipped the tool and select the firmware .bin file. Then click
Next.
To start the update process, click the Start Thunderbolt™ firmware update button
A progress bar will display during the update.

Refer the article from intel website directly for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks MrRobot! That was helpful advice. I think I figured it out.

The core problem is that Thunderbolt requires a special chip, in addition to the USB-C port. Some Spectre X360s have it, and some do not. Mine does not 😞

HP Recommended

Hi! @nicksantos! You're welcome and thanks for your response,

Kudos you figured out the issue.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
What is the chip and how do you know if my HP Spectre 360 has it?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.