Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to update the BIOS to the latest version using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics but it's giving an error of “BIOS Image File Specified is not intended for this system”. The 'System Board ID' is 80D1 and current 'BIOS Version' is F.16 (it was F.19 but I've had to restore it and F.16 must have been the original version on the machine). I've downloaded the latest version F.1D and used the .exe to write it to a USB. I'm then selecting the 080D1.bin file in the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and it's giving me an error of “BIOS Image File Specified is not intended for this system”. As far as I can see I'm selecting the correct .bin file for the 'System Board ID'. The only .bin file I can get it to not give that error is the 080DX.bin, but that fails with another error and also leaves the BIOS corrupted (hence why it's been restored to version F.16).

The reason I'm trying this is because the machine has gone in to an endless cycle of a pale blue error screen that then tries to do an automatic repair that fails, then displays the same pale blue error screen and so on. I can't get in to Windows 10 and the repair USB I'd prepared when I first got the laptop does nothing. I've also downloaded Windows 10 and created a bootable USB to try and repair Windows, but that comes up with the setup screen briefly then is followed by the same pale blue error screen.

I've performed the extensive hard drive test and memory test and all OK. I can also still boot to Kubuntu that I've been dual booting to since I got the machine and that has no problems. It's just seems to be Windows 10 that has this issue. I've been having locking issues since the Windows 10 anniversary update last year and have tried a lot of the solutions that seem to have worked for other people, but no change. Then a couple of weeks ago this pale blue error screen appeared on bootup and when it happened on the brand new Windows install USB it occurred to me that it may well be some Windows update that's now causing an error with the BIOS, or perhaps an even bigger error with the BIOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You won't believe how hard it's been to type this without swear words. When I think of the number of hours I've spent trying to sort this out and the locking issues before this, it just makes me feel like taking a sledge hammer to it.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> the machine has gone in to an endless cycle of a pale blue error screen that then tries to do an automatic repair that fails, then displays the same pale blue error screen and so on. 

This implies that the hardware is at least mostly-OK, which implies that you have a "software" problem.

Personally, I'm not a fan of updating the BIOS as one of the "early" steps in trouble-shooting; I think that usually the problem is "elsewhere" in the hardware.  But, in your case, that's water-under-the-bridge.

> I've performed the extensive hard drive test and memory test and all OK.

Inexpensive suggestion:  see: www.memtest86.com  for a bootable USB/CD RAM tester, for a "second opinion".

Expensive suggestion: replace the hard-drive (maybe with a SSD?) even though it has "passed" previous tests, and try to Install Windows.

Is the computer overheating?  (Not likely, since it runs until it "blue-screens", rather than freezing or spontaneously rebooting.)

HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think it's getting too warm. Kunbuntu still boots and works perfectly. In fact if it wasn't for a few applications that won't work under Linux (or Wine) I'd get rid of Windows 10 altogether. That's why I'm thinking it might be BIOS/Windows 10 version issue. Especially as it even does it on the Windows 10 setup screen booting from a USB drive, even before I've had a change to select anything on the setup screen. Unfortunately I don't have any older versions of Windows to test that theory out.

I was thinking as a last resort to take the hard disk out and replace. The only problem is that I don't know what the Windows 10 key is. Unlike other laptops I had this one didn't come with any documentation except a single A3 quick start pamphlet and there's no Windows sticker on the reverse of the laptop. It starts getting even more expensive if I need to replace the hard disk and new Windows 10 key, especially if I'm not sure that'll fix it. I can't exactly remember when I got it but I'm fairly sure it's under a year and still under warranty. I'm not sure this would be a warranty issue though as I can't find any fault with the hardware - yet.

HP Recommended

> I was thinking as a last resort to take the hard disk out and replace. The only problem is that I don't know what the Windows 10 key is.

Licensing of Windows 10 is unlike previous versions of Windows.

Since your computer was running Windows 10, you have a digital entitlement to resinstall Windows, at no cost.

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/get-windows-10

to download Windows 10, and to copy it to a USB memory-stick, or burn it to DVD-recordable media.

Then, boot from the media, to reinstall Windows.

When prompted to enter a product-key, click "I do not have one", to use your digital entitlement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.