Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G60 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

For two years or so my battery charger said 'Fully charged (100%)'.  Then a few weeks ago it said '69% (plugged in, not charging). HP Battery Check confirmed it was down to 69%, but said the battery was OK. I used a trick I learned a few years ago to reset the battery charger.  It is now back to 'Fully charged (100%)'.  So I have two questions -

What's the use of the HP Battery Check?

What caused the battery charging to stop functioning properly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Electronics can be very glitchy.

Updates are causing few issues like you're seeing, recently. I've no idea why that should be unless it is BIOS update. Windows updates shouldn't be controlling battery.

Possible Microsoft battery driver issue is the only thing I can suspect, which can be corrected in uninstalling and restarting again.

HP support assistant software is very glitchy piece of application. I usually do not do any updates through that except for battery testing. Still I keep it updated to very recent version.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi,

Uninstall HP support assistant software and reinstall this version:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

Can you do battery test from HP support assistant software now and tell me the report, what are the cell voltages, cycle count, capacities reported?

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I did install the Support Assistant update, & ran Battery Check. But since I had already reset the batttery charger & charged it back up to 100%, the Battery Check shows 100% & so did the previous version of SA. I have saved screenshots of the Battery Check when it was showing 69% - plugged in, not charging. But I don't know how to attach files to these Posts.

I suspect that the reason for the battery charging to stop working was an automatic update that affected the battery charging but that needed a computer shut down & restart to take effect.  I don't do that very often but after I did that battery charging is back to normal.

HP Recommended

Electronics can be very glitchy.

Updates are causing few issues like you're seeing, recently. I've no idea why that should be unless it is BIOS update. Windows updates shouldn't be controlling battery.

Possible Microsoft battery driver issue is the only thing I can suspect, which can be corrected in uninstalling and restarting again.

HP support assistant software is very glitchy piece of application. I usually do not do any updates through that except for battery testing. Still I keep it updated to very recent version.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.