Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilon 15-cs0019nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The battery in my laptop has drained to zero when the computer has been turned off for 10 days.

I did complete shut-down. Not just "sleep mode" or "hibernate". Also have not touched power settings.

I have left plugged into one of the USB ports Logitech USB Unifying receiver . https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/unifying-receiver-usb?crid=27

Could it drain the battery?

The laptop is new, used for several weeks and earlier I noticed the battery draining by over 15% in one day when it was also completely turned off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Makgajwer,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

As the battery is a consumable part the life of the battery decreases each time you charge your laptop.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity.

Li-Ion battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharges loads increase.
The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge will decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery in a depleted condition for an extended period will accelerate the decrease in FCC.
Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity.
Running high-end applications using the battery accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games will lower FCC faster than using word processing applications.

However, you can try the steps recommended below.

Open Power Options on Windows 10.
Click Change plan settings for any of the power plans. I would suggest you choose the power saver plan.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Settings tab, scroll down to find Processor power management.
Now, expand (click on +) Processor power management.
Expand Maximum processor state.
Click the On-battery option and reduce the processor state to 20%. You can choose any other value.
Click Ok. The settings are saved, you can close the Power Options window.

Enable Adaptive Brightness
Go to Power Options select change advanced power settings
Go to the Change advanced power settings. Expand Display> expand Enable Adaptive Brightness. Now, turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the battery drivers device manager.

Search for and open Device Manager.
Click next to Batteries to expand the battery options.
With the options expanded, right-click each ACPI option and in the menu, click Uninstall.
Restart the computer.
The battery should now charge properly.

Please ensure you update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test and perform a battery calibration on your laptop.

Also, refer this document to understand more about lithium-ion batteries.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Makgajwer,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

As the battery is a consumable part the life of the battery decreases each time you charge your laptop.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity.

Li-Ion battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharges loads increase.
The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge will decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery in a depleted condition for an extended period will accelerate the decrease in FCC.
Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity.
Running high-end applications using the battery accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games will lower FCC faster than using word processing applications.

However, you can try the steps recommended below.

Open Power Options on Windows 10.
Click Change plan settings for any of the power plans. I would suggest you choose the power saver plan.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Settings tab, scroll down to find Processor power management.
Now, expand (click on +) Processor power management.
Expand Maximum processor state.
Click the On-battery option and reduce the processor state to 20%. You can choose any other value.
Click Ok. The settings are saved, you can close the Power Options window.

Enable Adaptive Brightness
Go to Power Options select change advanced power settings
Go to the Change advanced power settings. Expand Display> expand Enable Adaptive Brightness. Now, turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the battery drivers device manager.

Search for and open Device Manager.
Click next to Batteries to expand the battery options.
With the options expanded, right-click each ACPI option and in the menu, click Uninstall.
Restart the computer.
The battery should now charge properly.

Please ensure you update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test and perform a battery calibration on your laptop.

Also, refer this document to understand more about lithium-ion batteries.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I know that battery loss its capacity but it is not normal that the battery has lost 100% for 10 days.

In my previous laptop (ASUS) even for a month without using it, it has not lost more than 20%.
I did steps recommended by you and will watch the battery drain.

I updated all drivers using HP Support Assistant but this program dos not show that there is new version of bios to my laptop.
Regarding update the bios: my version is F06 and here: https://support.hp.com/pl-pl/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cs0000-laptop-pc/20284004/model/2407... I can see that there are 2 versions: 
F.07 Rev.A and F.16 Rev.A.
Which one should I install?

HP Recommended

@Makgajwer I suggest you download the version that's released recently.

If you have any trouble doing the same, please install and use the HP support assistant: click here for details

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already installed HP support assistant, questions is why it does not show that there is new version of bios available?

HP Recommended

@Makgajwer

Thank you posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, it simply means there is no latest version BIOS available for this computer.

However, once the updates are avaiable your system will notify you.

Are you getting any error while using the HP support assistant?

Keep me posted. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I mean before I installed the newest version of bios (I had F.06) HP Support Assistant did not show that there is the newest one F.017 available. I downloaded it and the installation process was successful.

HP Recommended

@Makgajwer,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Problem solved.

After a few days, when the computer was off the battery lost 0%.

To be honest I do not know what could help the above solution or removing plugged into one of the USB ports Logitech USB Unifying receiver.

HP Recommended

The battery in my brand new HP Envy is very disappointing. I have never had a laptop where the battery drains while completely shutdown. 4 days ago I charged it while off to 100% (the light was green so it was fully charged). Today I turned it on and it is at 42%. This isn't efficient for customers. The purpose of fully charging my laptop is so when I go to use it, it is fully charged. I bought this laptop because my previous one was also an HP Envy and I loved it. What has changed to cause this very inconvenient and frustrating feature? It's really not acceptable and had I known, I would wouldn't have made this purchase. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.