Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an180no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced the battery on my HP Omen 17. HP Hardware Diagnostic says that my new battery has passed the tests. HP Support Assistant says that I have no main battery but my battery is charged 31%. I'm confused.

When booting I get the message: 'The COMS checksum is invalid. The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. Please check your BIOS Setup options to see if they change. CMOS Reset (502)'

I tried to update BIOS but nothing.

Help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I managed to find the explanation. it seems that the battery has a fuse inside which was blown. I still don't know why two HP diagnostic tools gave different answers. Thanks HP for no answer. 

HP Recommended

@PaulGalan

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To resolve the CMOS Reset Error (502), restore the BIOS.

1. Press Enter to restart the PC.

2. If the error displays after restarting, try to restore the BIOS using a USB drive. For more information, see the "Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive" section of the following:

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, actually I found the problem. The original battery died after 3 years and that is why I got that message about CMOS Reset Error (502). I replaced the battery but, being produced in China, it died in 2 days (the fuse was blown). Now I am trying to find a new battery from HP store which is like mission impossible. Whenever I search for battery 922977-855 or 922753-421 the result is 0. Could you suggest a reliable battery replacement site? (not Chinese, please!)

HP Recommended

@PaulGalan

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. this sounds like hardware related issue with the battery and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer but my laptop doesn't need service. It just need a new battery which I find almost impossible to buy. All the sites selling HP batteries seem to be in China even though they have European names (HPLaptopBattery.co.uk, Ireland Battery). 

So, please, if you can  tell me a European site that sells HP parts *especially batteries) I would be grateful forever!

HP Recommended

@PaulGalan

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now, please contact our support team.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear HP employee,

thank you for not listening to my questions and thank you for that useful  link that led me to the message: 

Oops!

We can't find that page, but here's the good news - we've got other ways to find what you need.

So, the great company HP doesn't have a shop where I can buy a replacement battery. Or, it is hidden. or it's not for everybody.

When I bought this laptop, after the first update the keyboard light stopped from working properly. An HP employee tried to solve the problem, didn't succeed and promised to come back with another solution. This was two years ago. Never heard of him.  

it's the last HP product that I will ever buy. 

HP Recommended

@PaulGalan

Apologize for the inconvenience caused. I did go through your product specs and found out battery part number: 922976-855 its a universal part you can purchase one from Amazon.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.