Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Right now my Elitebook is running WIN10 and I get  a message that says no battery detected.  I read that possibly updating the BIOS "might" help this situation.

I looked up the specifics that the site suggested:

Bios Revision Date - 08/26/2001

Bios Rev. 68SCF Ver. F.08

Processor Type - Intel Core i5-2410M CPU

I will be downgrading back to WIN7 PRO and then back again to WIN10 as soon as my recovery disks arrive but I wanted to know which Bios Version should I download and install.  I want to get this right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi fkbsar1954 ,

If i understand your post correctly the BIOS on your lapop is currently F.08.  If that is correct it would be a safe bet that your laptop is at least four years old given that the F.08 BIOS was released in August of 2011. That would mean that there is a high probablity of the error "no battery detected" being due to a bad battery, but for troubleshooting sake it would be a good step to update the BIOS as there have been 4 seperate BIOS releases correcting different battery issues. As far as the reccomended version goes I would reccomend you upgrade to the latest version, F.61, to ensure the best possible compatibility with Windows 10 given your system does not officially support Windows 10. The F.61 BIOS can be found here:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056901&swItemId=ob_152511_1&swEnvOid=406...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Double post . Sorry.

HP Recommended

Hi fkbsar1954 ,

If i understand your post correctly the BIOS on your lapop is currently F.08.  If that is correct it would be a safe bet that your laptop is at least four years old given that the F.08 BIOS was released in August of 2011. That would mean that there is a high probablity of the error "no battery detected" being due to a bad battery, but for troubleshooting sake it would be a good step to update the BIOS as there have been 4 seperate BIOS releases correcting different battery issues. As far as the reccomended version goes I would reccomend you upgrade to the latest version, F.61, to ensure the best possible compatibility with Windows 10 given your system does not officially support Windows 10. The F.61 BIOS can be found here:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056901&swItemId=ob_152511_1&swEnvOid=406...

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I did order a new battery but mysteriously the other one started charging last night and is working.  The only difference is that I kept taking the battery out and putting it back in (making sure it was seated correctly) when it was not working, and I took it out to get the part number yesterday.  Also, I purchased another power adapter for it and when I plugged that one in the battery came on, although the old one had been powering the computer all day.  I ran the diagnostic to confirm what I was seeing because I thought it was a fluke.  The power adapter I was using was also brand new so I will be taking that one back (it cost way more).  Since I've had the computer, 5 days, the "battery was not detected" up until 5:00pm yesterday.  Now all is good and I have a spare battery on the way.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Your battery charging issue may have been related to the folowing fix in a previous version of the BIOS for your system:

Version:F.41 (23 May 2013)

Fixes
- Fixes an intermittent issue where a battery that has been fully discharged does not recharge properly.

Hopefully running your system with the F.61 BIOS will permanently resolve your battery charging issues.

HP Recommended

That's one of the strange things that happened.  I never got around to upgrading the BIOS.  I was waiting on the Recovery Disks so that I could do everything at once.  Just glad that it's working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.