Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au063nr Intel Core i7 6500U 12RAM 1TB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My battery died with 0% life. The power charger evidently died with it, too because it does not work with my new battery. I have a new OEM HP BP02XL battery with the same specs, and  new OEM HP charger with same specs. I don't like that the battery is internal vs external. After removing the cover which is delicate, and carefully put in new battery, I am faced with an icon showing "no battery detected" and "unknown remaining" when I remove the power cord.  It seems this is common with many laptops, mostly HP. My other laptop had an external battery and I had no problem replacing it.  I've done so many things that I read was suupposed to rectify this and nothing is working. Diagnostics shows charger is there, but battery is missing. The battery does read that itis100% charged. I charged it for almost 36 hours before I started the laptop. I am using the laptop now, but I have to keep the power charger in otherwise it shuts down. I haven't read anywhere that possibly the battery cable could need replacing or could be bad and could that cause this?  I carefully removed it and replaced it. I really  don't know what to do. Has anyone done a full reset of your laptop to factory condition and has that worked? I thought of reinstalling Windows 10.  The updates are current. I need to get this fixed because the vendor wants the battery back if I can't use it. Honestly, I don't think it's the battery. The fan is working. Everything is fine execpt this "battery not detected" message. Any ideas that worked for you? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FIXED!  FIXED!  FIXED!

I fixed battery issue myself, and HP and Staples were no help.  Battery not detected (plugged in). Unknown remaining (unplugged).  255% available (plugged in)

On my Pavilion First, there is a cable or as it is mostly called "connector" with white ends and little pinholes that connects from battery to a little spot on the the system board.  You have to remove the connector from the battery of course, to replace battery. Be very careful when removing this and only remove the connector going to the battery. You do not have to remove the one going to system board if your laptop only needs a battery and you were not getting strange desktop icon battery reading before this. View replacing battery videos and you'll see people using small dull edge tools to remove it.  Remember, only remove the connector going to the battery.  I mistakenly removed both the connector from the battery and the system board. Mistake. I spoke with HP and they had no clue what this part was. It has a part number on a tag, yet HP doesn't show it in parts replacement and support had no idea what part I was talking about.  That's comforting, isn't it?

After trying several batteries and and a new AC OEM charger, I could not get this battery to be detected or show that it was properly charging.  The only thing left was to try a new connector (sometimes called battery cable by some, but then confused with the AC charger).  What I am about to tell you could also happen to with the battery, too. The connector has tiny holes that fit into pins on the battery and the system board. If you don't remove it carefully, it's possible to bend one of those pins and then the connector doesn't fit in all of them and you may not even know this. The connector to the battery was fitting flush very fine, but I noticed the one to the system board didn't fit right. It wasn't quite straight and flush no matter how many times I took it out and put back in.  I got out my flashlight and magnifying glass and in that tiny area, I was barely able to see the pins, but I was able to count them. My connector has 10 holes, but I only counted 9 pins. Then I could see to the far right there was a little lump, it did not look like the pin. Above that is a metal piece that holds in the connector. On mine there are 2 tiny open squares. The left was empty, but on the right I could see what looked like a pin. So, I took a small straight pin and gently moved it to the the outside right, hoping I was straightening it. Now there was nothing showing in that right square hole. I looked inside (it's very small to see, use a strong magnifying glass and use sunlight unless you have a headlamp).  Now I counted 10 pins. I must have bent that last pin when I either removed that connector or put it back in. The connector slid right in, flush and straight. Without my AC charger, I was able to start my computer with button only. The charging bar is showing and all of that other garbage is gone. 

I almost bought a new connector thinking this one was bad, but it would have done the same thing and then I probably would have gotten rid of my laptop even though everything else passed all the tests. All that time, the connector pins were not all fitting properly and not making contact. No one told me this. I've been online all over the place. I was on phone with HP, Windows, and went to Staples.  No one ever suggested this connector (cable).  

Do yourself a favor and do not disconnect the connector to the system board. When you do remove the one from the battery, because of course, you have to, be careful. Make sure all the pins inside the battery are straight and the connector fits perfectly.

This info is for a Pavilion that has a cable-like connector. Some of the batteries fit right into a pin connector on the system board. Some of those are detachable, and I think the same problem could happen if it's not removed and put back properly. The pins need to make straight contact.

I hope this helps. If you want to know what my connector looks like, look up images for this part:  DD0G34BT001 HP Battery Connector. Sometimes the number may end with 011, but you get the idea what it looks like. Sometimes you can find it with this part number: 856351-001.

It's possible it could go bad. I don't know much about it, but if you did not get those strange readings before the battery died, then your connector (cable) is probably fine.  I'm glad I didn't replace it. I would have same problem, because obviously the pin was the issue. 

It's a great relief. I have a free day now. I thought I'd be fussing with this all day, again.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Virtually all laptops have internal batteries these days and replacing them is similar to the operation you just went through on other brands of laptops.  All brands have battery issues like this from time to time. It's not possible to produce a thin and light laptop with an old style external battery. It seems you purchased the battery and AC adapter direct from HP? So they are genuine OEM product? It is possible although extremely rare to get a bad battery from the factory. It is easier to fail to get the battery connector correctly placed, particularly on the motherboard side.. We will sometimes have posts like this and Users report success by taking a second stab at seating the battery cable. A bad cable is possible but extremely unlikely as long as there is no apparent damage. A reset is also very likely to do any  good because the battery does not even need software to work correctly. Its very basic hardware.  I am concerned that your battery and AC adapter both failed at about the same time as this can happen as part of a power surge or other serious hardware issue. I am having a bit of a hard time figuring out how its "battery not found" and yet you say it shows 100% charged. That is only true with the AC adapter connected? With the AC adapter connected does the battery show up in device manager? Long shot but try opening device manager find the battery and uninstall it. Reboot and let the battery  driver reload. You may have already tried that, however.  I am convinced there is no problem with the AC adapter but still not convinced you don't have a bad battery there. This is about all I can offer. I do not work for HP by the way. 

HP Recommended

I've seen online this "not detected" is a common issue and can happen at any time. Not pleased about it. Last time I get a laptop. Go back to a desktop. I searched all over for a genuine battery and charger with the same specs. I found a reputabale 100% feedback seller on Ebay here in the USA. The battery has charged to 100%. It's not damaged. The charger is working. I just cannot get my laptop to recognize this battery exists.  It's the same model, there are a couple of slight differences in specs. I can't see that being an issue especially when this "batterry not detected" is all over the Internet. I'm not sure if I am supposed to "calibrate" the battery and drain it and then fully charge again, if that would make any difference. Everything works with my computer. All tests passed, except it says there is no battery. I thought maybe the cable wire could be dried out and need replacement. I can't think of anything else. My old battery was over 4 years old. The adapter probably failed because maybe the battery finally drained it, and also the wire twisted over time. It's dead now. Failed test. Maybe the charger failed my old battery. At least I know this charger is good. 

Only hardware issue I can see would be battery related. Everything passed diagnostics and all is working. It does show100% charged when I did the HP battery check and when I click on the battery icon. It shows a picture of the battery and says 100% Fully Charged. Contrary to when I put my old battery back in as a test and that had 0 power.  

Did the driver reload. Pressed the power and let out residual energy from capacitors. I am so tired with this. HP is no help. Even if I want to pay them, they claim this is a software issue and that doesn't fall under the service plan. How much help does someone need with software? Just contacc the software provider. 

The seller said I can return the battery for refund. He hasn't had this problem, but then, I need to direct him to the Internet where all laptop brands go through this. I am sad for the reason I found a genuine battery from a good seller and now I will be without a battery, although the old battery works with the charger since I'm just getting juice from the charger. I just love Windows locking me out as administrator. I changed the CMOS battery while I was in there. There's no issue with that, but now things changed, and Microsoft is being a real %$#@ not allowing me to use my old pin. Change my pin. I have to keep signing in with email. I ask for verification code and they don't send it. 

This "battery not detected" is an issue these companies need to address. Do a search. Loads of them on there that go back 10 or more years. You would think they would have fixed this by now.  

I can't get a battery for my model directly from HP. They outsourced me. I didn't go with their first place because they had no returns at all.That would be a fine mess now if I had this problem. 

My brain is tired.  Thanks for your advice. Any brainstorms, send them along.

HP Recommended

This just this:

It's the same model, there are a couple of slight differences in specs.

What does this mean? You have a lot of very interesting ideas.

HP Recommended
  1. The specs were that the part number was slightly different and one didn't even have a part number!!  I am on the third battery since HP told me I need to have the EXACT part number.  OK.  I ordered the exact part number 949909-855 through their recommended supplier.  I had to return the other 2 batteries. This third vendor said this is the correct part number. I have the same problem after charging for 36 hours. No battery detected. Diagnostics:  No battery installed.  255% charged - plugged in.  Will only start with my new OEM AC adapter, but power remains while unplugged. Will not turn on without AC charger. One thing I cannot test and have not been able to test, is the battery cable connected from battery to motherboard. It has white connectors and pins on each side. Tag shows this part number G34BT001 and DD034BT001.
  2. Of course, HP cannot tell me if this would be the issue. They don't even know what part this is.  Huh???  There is no diagnostic test for this part. I tried using volt meter, but the pins are so small, it doesn't do anything.  
  3. Four things left. Try to get an OEM battery cable -- which HP doesn't know exists and see if that is answer.  Do factory reset (even though I reinstalled Win 10 and did an HP reset).  If those fail, return the battery before my deadline and throw the laptop in garbage -- even though every other component passed diagnostics. Shame.  I am not paying a fortune for repair unless it is guaranteed.  I tried Staples and the tech manager knew less than I do. That's reassuring.  Anyone here found the fix?  I've read so many people have had this problem and I see a lot of suggestions (what I have done), but no one stating they found the fix.  How can a simple task of installing a simple battery be such a problem?  This issue is all over the internet with other brands. I haven't been able to find any answer online. Maybe someone here can share their luck fixing this.  It would be greatly appreciated!!
HP Recommended

I replied. Forgot to click REPLY on your message.

HP Recommended

FIXED!  FIXED!  FIXED!

I fixed battery issue myself, and HP and Staples were no help.  Battery not detected (plugged in). Unknown remaining (unplugged).  255% available (plugged in)

On my Pavilion First, there is a cable or as it is mostly called "connector" with white ends and little pinholes that connects from battery to a little spot on the the system board.  You have to remove the connector from the battery of course, to replace battery. Be very careful when removing this and only remove the connector going to the battery. You do not have to remove the one going to system board if your laptop only needs a battery and you were not getting strange desktop icon battery reading before this. View replacing battery videos and you'll see people using small dull edge tools to remove it.  Remember, only remove the connector going to the battery.  I mistakenly removed both the connector from the battery and the system board. Mistake. I spoke with HP and they had no clue what this part was. It has a part number on a tag, yet HP doesn't show it in parts replacement and support had no idea what part I was talking about.  That's comforting, isn't it?

After trying several batteries and and a new AC OEM charger, I could not get this battery to be detected or show that it was properly charging.  The only thing left was to try a new connector (sometimes called battery cable by some, but then confused with the AC charger).  What I am about to tell you could also happen to with the battery, too. The connector has tiny holes that fit into pins on the battery and the system board. If you don't remove it carefully, it's possible to bend one of those pins and then the connector doesn't fit in all of them and you may not even know this. The connector to the battery was fitting flush very fine, but I noticed the one to the system board didn't fit right. It wasn't quite straight and flush no matter how many times I took it out and put back in.  I got out my flashlight and magnifying glass and in that tiny area, I was barely able to see the pins, but I was able to count them. My connector has 10 holes, but I only counted 9 pins. Then I could see to the far right there was a little lump, it did not look like the pin. Above that is a metal piece that holds in the connector. On mine there are 2 tiny open squares. The left was empty, but on the right I could see what looked like a pin. So, I took a small straight pin and gently moved it to the the outside right, hoping I was straightening it. Now there was nothing showing in that right square hole. I looked inside (it's very small to see, use a strong magnifying glass and use sunlight unless you have a headlamp).  Now I counted 10 pins. I must have bent that last pin when I either removed that connector or put it back in. The connector slid right in, flush and straight. Without my AC charger, I was able to start my computer with button only. The charging bar is showing and all of that other garbage is gone. 

I almost bought a new connector thinking this one was bad, but it would have done the same thing and then I probably would have gotten rid of my laptop even though everything else passed all the tests. All that time, the connector pins were not all fitting properly and not making contact. No one told me this. I've been online all over the place. I was on phone with HP, Windows, and went to Staples.  No one ever suggested this connector (cable).  

Do yourself a favor and do not disconnect the connector to the system board. When you do remove the one from the battery, because of course, you have to, be careful. Make sure all the pins inside the battery are straight and the connector fits perfectly.

This info is for a Pavilion that has a cable-like connector. Some of the batteries fit right into a pin connector on the system board. Some of those are detachable, and I think the same problem could happen if it's not removed and put back properly. The pins need to make straight contact.

I hope this helps. If you want to know what my connector looks like, look up images for this part:  DD0G34BT001 HP Battery Connector. Sometimes the number may end with 011, but you get the idea what it looks like. Sometimes you can find it with this part number: 856351-001.

It's possible it could go bad. I don't know much about it, but if you did not get those strange readings before the battery died, then your connector (cable) is probably fine.  I'm glad I didn't replace it. I would have same problem, because obviously the pin was the issue. 

It's a great relief. I have a free day now. I thought I'd be fussing with this all day, again.

HP Recommended

I did say this:   It is possible although extremely rare to get a bad battery from the factory. It is easier to fail to get the battery connector correctly placed, particularly on the motherboard side.. We will sometimes have posts like this and Users report success by taking a second stab at seating the battery cable.

HP Recommended

Yes. That's correct. Why I had to try 2 other batteries. The first one did not have exact part number. The second one had no part number (strange). This one I got from HP suggested vendor. I spoke to owner and she confirmed this is the exact part number. This time I was certain there was something else going on and it was not the battery.  What I don't understand is I called HP twice and spoke to them and neither knew what the battery cable/connector was. I gave part number and they had no clue. I looked it up on in parts and it was not there. It's something that needs to be known, even if it isn't the pin out of line, and the connector needs replacing. No one seems to know this. The guy at Staples knew the connector wasn't fitting straight, but he had no suggestions.  I wish I would have seen some of those battery cable/connector posts sooner. I'm still glad I am done with this and I still have a good operating laptop.

I hope I can help someone else before they trash their laptop after trying everything else possible. That's why I left my success review. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.