Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360 Convertible 15-bp1xx

My old battery needed to be replaced so I purchased one from a reputable reseller of HP products, FirstTech.

After installing the new battery the laptop does not detect the battery.

I have tried various fixes, like updating BIOS, windows, uninstalling drivers and northing is working.

To see if the problem is the new battery I installed the old battery back in and the laptop cannot detect the battery.

Please assist as this is very frustrating.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

That would appear to indicate that in you installation/removal you have inadvertently  damaged the connector or do not have it plugged in correctly.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

So the connector has like visible pins which do not appear to be damaged. 

The battery can only go in one way and has screw on either side of the connector, so it has to be fully seated in order for the screws to be fastened.

HP Recommended

OK.

In this case the S.M.A.R.T. battery is not communicating with the laptop. It needs to be returned and replaced.

I would contact the vendor and request an RMA and shipping instructions.  (Return Merchandise Authorization)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I did return the battery and purchased another one from another supplier.

I am still getting the battery not detected issue.

How would I go about trying to diagnose whether my issue is hardware or software related.

Please advise.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Th laptop's battery communicates with the operating system and BIOS by way of firmware, not software. 

The BIOS ROM is firmware code.

It uses the laptop system board's SMBus (system management bus) for serial communications that enable it to report its health and charge state to the BIOS.

If the battery still charges and you are able to see the percentage in the state of the battery's charge in the systray, this issue may be something you may just have to ignore.

You can try updating the BIOS, if there is a newer version available, but I expect that is unlikely to remedy the issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly the battery is not charging and has the "x" on the battery icon.

I have tried all the fixes I could find and getting desperate now. 

Yes BIOS was updated to no avail.

I had read somewhere that the issue my be windows 11 which I had upgraded to earlier this year, before replacing the battery, however, I did not experience the issue after upgrade. Battery was old and needed replacing.

I have reinstalled windows 10 hoping it would help but no luck.

I can confirm that my charging cable is fine as it is charging my other HP devices and have tried the another cable as well.

Please advise further.

HP Recommended

Have you inspected the header where the power adapter plugs into the laptop to see if it is damaged?

If there is no damage there, your options are pretty limited

There isn't much else you can do beside having the notebook inspected for component failure  and repair.
That may cost more than the current value of the notebook

This is likely to end up with your sourcing a different laptop.

You can remove the hard drive in the old notebook, connect it with a SATA to USB connector to the replacement laptop and remove your important data from it.

HP Recommended

That really is not what I want to hear. There is no damage as far as I can tell.

Everything was working fine until the battery replacement.

I am wondering whether a faulty battery could have caused some hardware damage? Is that even possible somehow?

The HP Envy is a really nice laptop and apart from the battery issue works like a new machine. I would hate to have to dump it.

I need to find a solution. 

HP Recommended

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to find a solution that you want to hear. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.