Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, my computer stopped charging. It was fine the day before, but when I got up yesterday, I noticed I was losing juice. My battery icon says "battery plugged in, not charging." It doesn't charge when it's off, either. 

This computer has an internal battery that I cannot remove. I have already tried uninstalling Microsoft ACPI and that didn't help. 

I have looked at the pin inside the power adapter and it seems to be properly aligned, though it's so small it's hard to tell for sure. It does seem like the adapter isn't plugging in all the way beacuse it's a bit wiggly, but that could be because of the dumb placement of the battery port.

Please help! I'm a writer and I can't work with a dead computer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, never mind. I think I figured it out on my own. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow, but for now, it seems fine.

I followed all the steps I found on these forums and other places on the wide, wild internet, and nothing was helping. I ran battery checks, did a calibration, and unistalled ACPI. I'm sure I tried other things, too, probably including howling at the full moon while performing various bloodstone rituals. Nothing worked. 

Finally, I decided to just check for updates and updated every single thing out of desperation. My BIOS updated and I was set!

I've read that sometimes a BIOS update only works until you turn the computer off, and when you turn it back on, you're back to square one. I don't know if that'll happen tomorrow, but if it does, at least I'll have full juice while I look into which kind of incense most pleases the Computer Gods.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Okay, never mind. I think I figured it out on my own. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow, but for now, it seems fine.

I followed all the steps I found on these forums and other places on the wide, wild internet, and nothing was helping. I ran battery checks, did a calibration, and unistalled ACPI. I'm sure I tried other things, too, probably including howling at the full moon while performing various bloodstone rituals. Nothing worked. 

Finally, I decided to just check for updates and updated every single thing out of desperation. My BIOS updated and I was set!

I've read that sometimes a BIOS update only works until you turn the computer off, and when you turn it back on, you're back to square one. I don't know if that'll happen tomorrow, but if it does, at least I'll have full juice while I look into which kind of incense most pleases the Computer Gods.

HP Recommended

Hi @Danniemorris,

Thanks for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you had an issue with the battery plugged in, not charging on your HP Envy 15x360.

Glad to hear you got it working. 

Here are few steps for your reference: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you try battery related documents: 

Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

Let me know if you need any assistance in the future.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi @Danniemorris,

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Final update:

My Envy is good as new after updating the bios. No charging problems at all!

HP Recommended

Hi @Danniemorris,

Thanks for replying.

Glad to hear you got it working. If you need any further assistance in the future, please feel free to reach out to us again. Take care!

If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, crap.

My computer updated and I'm back to having this issue. 

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another HP again. This is just ridiculous. What if I weren't a fairly intelligent person? Or what if I were a grandma or someone who just isn't familiar enough with technology to troubleshoot this kind of issue? 

I have two thoughts on this. One, my computer recently did an update. I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not. And two, I worked in a cafe yesterday, with my laptop unplugged. I wonder if that had something to do with it. I can't see how, but I'm looking at all possiblities here.

HP Recommended

Fourteen months, I've been dealing with this issue. Over a year of having to regularly update my bios. This is ridiculous.

Updating bios no longer works. Well, that's not totally true. I can update my bios, but as soon as I  unplug my computer or shut it down for the night it goes right back to "Plugged in, Not Charging."

I've updated drivers. I've uninstalled and re-installed everything. I can't remove the battery because that sucker isn't removable--good call, HP! Good call.

I'm so over HP. I will never, ever, ever purchase another HP product. I'm a writer. I need to be able to unplug my computer and have it hold a charge. And if it starts dying, I need to be able to plug it back in and have it actually recharge. As it stands, I'm chained to my desk and a power outlet at all times. I might as well have bought a desktop.

Have I mentioned I'm a writer? I don't make enough money to throw away on crappy computers that won't hold a charge. 

Get it together, Hewlett-Packard. This is not acceptable. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.