Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello, everyone!

I've made bootable Flash-drive (1 gb) and bootable SDHC-card (8 gb).

In the first case i can boot but in the second one I can't.

Computer: CQ61-310ER Compaq Presario.

Bios is updated.

Card reader works fine (with the SDHC card in Win7).

What should i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've investigated this theme and here's what I've found out:

All storage devices which can be plugged in to usb must meet the USB Mass Storage standard. There exists a boot section of it. So USB Mass Storage standard may be not fully implemented (without boot section of the standard).

Some of old external usb card readers had haven't boot feature. All modern readers have boot feature (otherwise is not proved).

Internal reader can be plugged in to pci or internal usb. To boot in first case bios must supports 'pci boot feature' (I don't know correct name for it) and reader must supports boot feature. To boot in second case bios must supports usb boot feature and reader must fully supports usb mass storage standard. Probably my internal reader meet a base part of the USB Mass Storage standard without boot feature. I found many posts on this topic. So this is not a problem of my computer.

Thank you topmahof for your replies and your time.

I mark my problem as solved.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

It won't work in the card reader itself because the bios won't recognize it as a bootable device.  But you might be able to get it to work in a usb card reader.  As long as the bios recognizes it and lists it in the boot order.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Is it possible to make card reader recognizable as a bootable device?

I can see in AIDA (or Everest) the card reader is plugged in by usb.

So, what do we have? Not all card readers can be recognized as a bootable device?
HP Recommended

Go into the bios and see if the reader shows up in your boot order.  If it does, then you can use it to boot.  This is an internal reader, right?  If you had an external usb reader, that would probably show up and you could use it to boot from.  The bios has to recognize it in order to boot from it. 

a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Yes, it's an internal reader. In the bios I don't see the reader. 

It is strange that the bios doesn't recognize the reader as bootable.

HP Recommended

Yeh, I know. It could be because all the usb hubs are on pci bus 0 and the card reader is on pci bus 2. One thing I did do is I have an external multi card reader and I hooked it up and went into the bios and it's there. Tomorrow I'm gonna put linux on an sd card and see if I can boot from it.  I doubt if the read and write times are going to be very great but I'll try that and I think I have a cf card around here somewhere and I'll try that also. I'll let you know how I make out.

a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Well, I mistook the external card reader for the usb hard drive in the bios.  So, it's not there, doesn't show up. So, can't boot from it.  I installed ubuntu on the sd card and tried to see it in the bios. It doesn't show up until windows is loaded.

a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

With a cf card in the reader, it does show up as a bootable device.  I might not have formatted the sd card right.  The external card reader shows up as a usb hard drive and with linux on the cf card it boots.  So, an external card reader shows up but the internal one doesn't.

a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Okay, this works.  I'm typing this from ubuntu which is on a cf card which is on an external card reader which I booted up from the bios.  It works very well, very quick.   I'm gonna do the same thing with an sd card. I'm sure it'll work.

Edit:  No matter what I do or how I format it, the sd card will not read as a bootable device in the bios.  The cf card works great.  I'm going to keep playing around with the sd card, but as it is right now, I can't get it to boot or even be recognized in the bios.

a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

"It could be because all the usb hubs are on pci bus 0 and the card reader is on pci bus 2."

It's interesting version. I've investigated it with AIDA (Everest). And in my case it isn't true. All plugged in usb-flash-drives and card reader are under one section named "... USB2 Enhanced Host Controller". So it's another reason.

I have only one card and only one internal card reader. I have to find another card at least or another reader or comp)) I'll write what I got.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.