Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello, here's my configuration

Model: Pavilion DV6540EL

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7100

BIOS: F.09 (11/06/2007)

Chipset: Intel GM965 (Crestline-GM) + ICH8M

Motherboard: Quanta 30CC

RAM: 2 x 1 Gb DDR2

I want to upgrade this pc for emotional reasons. I've bought a 240gb SSD and 2x2gb RAM which I understand is the most it supports the motherboard (i have yet to assemble them).
I've read in some threads that it is necessary to upgrade the BIOS to F.5A version (which I read to be the latest version available) but for some reason i have to roll back at least to windows vista to perform the update.
if I were to succeed, what are the best performing CPUs that I could mount on that motherboard?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my bad english but i'm not native.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I have installed new 2x2gb RAM and the ssd (a cheap Kingston 240gb - remember to remove the adapter from the old drive and put it on the new one) and performance improved dramatically.  Howewer it is still a laptop from around year 2007 so...

I've rolled back to Windows Vista, found the update for BIOS (thanks to Paul Tikkanen replies in other thread) and installed, and now it is version F.5A

I'm still having trouble figuring out what processors this motherboard can support. I even saw quad cores in the cpu support list, but I doubt they are supported. If anyone has experience with this I would be grateful.

HP Recommended

This model will take a Core 2 Duo up to 2.2 ghz and with 800 mhz FSB. This is the list from the Service Manual:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processors

2.20-GHz processor, 4-MB L2 cache, 800-
MHz front side bus (FSB)
2.00-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 800-
MHz FSB
1.86-GHz processor, 1-MB L2 cache, 533-
MHz FSB
1.50-GHz processor, 2-MB L2 cache, 667-
MHz FSB

The top option as originally configured would be a T7500, which would provide 20-25% more computing power. I think it is possible later BIOS updates allowed some even more capable options. @Paul_Tikkanen ?
HP Recommended

Hi, @DragonPower7UP 

If you have updated your PC's BIOS to the latest version, it will support a T9500 processor.

Unfortunately, HP has retired the reference to the BIOS update which added support for the T8100, T8300, T9300 and T9500 processors.