Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ60z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

While quarantined I’m introducing my kids to computers. We are currently working on updating a Compaq Presario CQ60. I know it’s old but it was just lying around so we figured why not. We ordered some new RAM and are considering a new SSD.
Our big question now is about the CPU. It currently has an Intel Celeron 900. Are we able to put something more powerful in this machine. My online searches have come back mixed. That may have to do with the model number though, it seams there were quite a few CQ60 models. Best we can find is that ours is a CQ60z. The serial number is [edit]if that helps.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

CQ60z would be a model with an AMD processor. 

This is a Manual for the G61 and CQ61 which also were offered with the Celeron 900 processor. The processor is socketed and removable but HP offered two different motherboards, with a low and high end chip. The low end with the Celeron will not run a Croe 2 Duo properly. Speedstepping and thermal management will not work right. You can use a Pentium Dual Core like the T3400 which will offer some improvement. This is an educational project, right? 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/273397/Hp-G61-306.html?page=8#manual

This is a 3rd party Manual site. HP has long ago removed support for this model series. Good luck with the project and do not hesitate to post back if you need any help. 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes this is educational. With school going online laptops around the house have become interesting. We recently watched a video about reducing waste so the question came up about fixing this laptop which had been sitting in a closet. We got it out and ran some tests yesterday and the nice thing about this machines RAM being maxed out is we could all really see how much of a difference it made just removing programs. We ordered some new RAM on eBay for about $20 and are excited to see what difference it will make.

We used the crucial websites tool to determine easy upgrades. It came back with a model number on CQ60z series. After some searching I was confused about the CPU. When I could find CQ60z info it did point to an AMD but the sticker on the front said Intel. I ran wmic commands in the command prompt and this is what I got:

image.jpg

As you can see it definitely has the Intel processor and the Presario CQ60.  I’ll take a look at the manuals you linked and the T3400. Thank again.

HP Recommended

Well my head hurts now. Kudos to you sir for all the knowledge you carry around. 

I took a look at the T3400 and it looks like I can get 1 for about $10 so that is good. Correct me if I’m wrong but it should be about the same speed as my current celeron 900 2.2ghz but with twice the cores. Which is a great learning opportunity because we’ll be able to see differences in having multiple cores. 

I took a look at the manual you sent for the CQ61 and I’m not totally convinced that it is correct for me. I may have been reading it wrong but I didn’t see a celeron 900 2.2ghz offered for the CQ61. 

I ran another wmic looking directly for the baseboard. Here are the results:

Manfacturer: Hewlett-Packard-Packard

Product: 3612

Version: 0.9.67

Please confirm for me that the T3400 will work.

I’m also hoping that we could get an even better CPU to try but if T3400 is the best we can do then that’s ok.

Lastly we should be able to easily upgrade the storage from the roughly 220GB we have now. Am I wrong in thinking that we are wasting time in doing so as we really won’t see any real performance changes from this? We are using less than 30% now. Even with the eventual 4GB of Ram and T3400 isn’t our best hope to be able to web surf on this machine? 

Thanks again

HP Recommended

I tried really hard to find your exact Manual and came up short so offered the CQ61 as a near miss. It does list a Celeron 900 CPU in there. Here is a CQ60 Manual but not sure its your exact model. The layout and access procedures should be very similar, however.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71703/Hp-Cq60-Series.html?page=8#manual

Again, this is from a third party site. I think we need to narrow your full model number down a bit more. Usually it is printed inside the battery bay or the Product number will show up in the BIOS screen. Once I have the full model number my chances of nailing down the actual correct manual go way up. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

I found it. I thought I had checked all the stickers on the bottom and under the battery but I looked a little harder at one I thought was too worn out. We have a CQ60-615DX.

The number was not quite clear but I can make out the product number which is WA588UA#ABA when I searched that it confirmed the CQ60-615DX.

I found an old post with the service manual here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/need-service-manual-for-cq60-615dx/m-p/149...

I’ll go though it tonight. 
Let me know if this changes anything we discussed previously? 
I also saw some info on SSD being faster than a rotating drive. So I guess a new hard drive could help.

HP Recommended

I had found that Manual but was not sure it was yours. So the T3400 is in there and confirms it should work. The only thing that gives me pause is the Celeron 900 is not listed. No 2.2 ghz Celeron. And the T3400 and Celeron 900 are different dies and sockets so...

You definitely want an SSD if budget permits. 2.5 inch SATA and you can find some good deals. I have had good luck even with no name brands you can get fairly cheap. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

So today I decided to take the laptop apart to physically see what we have inside. I’m not done yet but I can already tell that we haven’t got the right manual. I’ve actually been cross referencing between the 3 I’ve had and I can safely say none is correct. All are close though. My first thought is that I grabbed the wrong CQ60-615DX manual from the other post. The biggest problem I see is that none of the bottom screw location quite match up.

Hopefully I finish tearing this apart tonight. I’ll update you as I know more. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Ok I got it apart. Wasn’t too bad overall.

Hare is the CPU: Intel Celeron 900 2.2ghz/1M/800

image.jpg

Socket is:PGA479M

image.jpg

Board is: Hp 578228-001 Presario Cq60 Laptop Motherboard

That’s all I’ve got for tonight.

HP Recommended

Pentium T4500:

https://www.ebay.com/i/333549733359?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid...

Same die, socket, FSB. Very cheap. Almost certain it will work, if we could just find the right manual. I have a box of laptop processors from that era. Let me look and get back I may have a T4500 in my collection I would just send you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.