Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV5230US
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Ok guys. I own a HP Pavilion dv5230us that I love really much & performs really despite it's age. I mainly use it for surfing the internet & music production, but once I get my music computer back from my brothers I'm going to use this laptop for internet & marketing mainly because I'm gonna keep my main studio computer off of the internet to keep it safe. Over the next few months to a year I'm looking to slowly upgrade my laptop to make it perform better on the internet & with the basic task I'm gonna be using it for.

Right now the current specs are:

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1.6Ghz/667Mhz FSB,

Chipset: Intel i945GM,

Southbridge: 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U),

Graphics Processor: Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family,

Ram: 2GB of DDR2 @ 600Mhz,

HDD: 120GB,

I'm planning to upgrade the ram to 4GB, replace the 120GB HDD with a 240GB SSD, & I've also been thinking about upgrading the CPU as well. 

Is it possible to upgrade to a Intel Core 2 Dou T7200 on my computer or am I limited to a Intel Core Dou T2600 or Intel Core Dou T2700 as my maximum upgrade opition?  What are the possible Socket M CPU's I can upgrade too? Can I upgrade to a Socket M Intel Core 2 Dou or am I stuck with a Intel Core Dou as my upgrade opition?

Please no rude or unrelated answers.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

MCJosiah

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry for the bad news, but you are operating under a misunderstanding.

There is really no way to significantly "speed up" real-time performance of a laptop, as the most effective way to do this in desktops is to upgrade the processors, and like with the video chips, in laptops, these are not customer-replaceable parts.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

But this laptop CPU is not soderd onto the board. It goes in a 479 pin socket called "Socket M" which was a mobile socket used for certian laptops between 2005 to 2007. It supports Pentium M, Celeron M, Intel Core Duo's, & various Intel Core 2 Dou chips. The main thing I'm wondering is is it safe to replace my Intel Core Dou T2300 with a Intel Core Duo T2600 or Intel Core 2 Dou T7200? Are there BIOS updates for this laptop to use a Intel Core 2 Dou?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.