Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertable
Microsoft Windows XP

the CTRL key on the left side of my keyboard is stuck in the down position. How do I get this corrected

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @MMathieuC, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand the Ctrl key on the keyboard is physically stuck.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried checking with an external keyboard?

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

As you mentioned the Ctrl key on the keyboard is physically stuck.

Try the steps recommended below.

In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Try using a spoon and try lifting the key up.

You have to rebuild the little supporting structure under the key and then pop the key down onto the top of it. You also have to be sure none of the metal mounting points for the support structure are broken. Carefully lay the key on top and then snap straight down so all the plastic tabs grab hold in place.

If the issue persists you have to replace the complete keyboard layout on your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.