Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello, 

the CTRL and FN keys of my notebook suddenly swapped. 

Now the FN key performs as CTRL key and vice versa. 

First I thought the CTRL is not working at all. 

This is really annoying. 

Any way to change back to the default behaviour or is this a warranty case?

Thank you & best regards,

Philipp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Folks with the 4530 series ProBooks found by removing the battery and AC power, then re-applying power seems to solve this quirk....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Folks with the 4530 series ProBooks found by removing the battery and AC power, then re-applying power seems to solve this quirk....

HP Recommended

Unbelievable! 😉

This was the cause!

Everything is working now!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I had this problem on my HP Zbook 14 and resetting the Fn Key Switch/Swap in the BIOS was not fixing the problem in Windows.  The Fn key was working like the Ctrl key in windows but the Ctrl key was dead.  By removing power and the battery and then powering up fixed the problem on my HP Zbook 14 on January 4th, 2015.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers, cH :smileyhappy:

@RivergoatJr wrote:

HP Recommended

The same problem and solution on the EliteBook 840 G1

Removing both AC and battery for a little while fixed the problem

Lame that after all this time, HP still hasn't fixed this.

HP Recommended

The same problem and solution on the ProBook 470 G1

Removing both AC and battery for a little while fixed the problem

HP still hasn't fixed this problem.

HP Recommended

OMG! Thank you so much for this solution!!! I thought I did something, but I couldn't find out what! 

Indeed, removing battery and power supply from the adapter for 20 seconds did the job! Simply amazing!!!

I'm using HP Elitebook 2760p on Windows 7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.