Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc178cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my laptop for the game faster. Can I add an INTEL OPTANE Memory for it?  is it compatible with my laptop motherboard(HP Pavilion - 15-cc178cl, window 10 home version 64bit). Does the motherboard have an M2 connector of PCIe? If it has, what kind of intel optane memeory is matched the slot I have. thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

There is a slot for an NVME/PCie M.2 SSD but Intel Optane is not supported. So in order to get the speed of an NVME M.2 SSD (much faster than a hard drive + Optane) you need to install such an SSD and move the operating system over to it. 

M.2 slot circled in redM.2 slot circled in red

While an NVME M.2 will make general Windows performance MUCH MUCH better it will have only a very small impact on gaming. That requires a strong video card. Your laptop has a dedicated video card but it is pretty low end and will struggle with demanding games and an NVME M.2 SSD will not alter that. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

There is a slot for an NVME/PCie M.2 SSD but Intel Optane is not supported. So in order to get the speed of an NVME M.2 SSD (much faster than a hard drive + Optane) you need to install such an SSD and move the operating system over to it. 

M.2 slot circled in redM.2 slot circled in red

While an NVME M.2 will make general Windows performance MUCH MUCH better it will have only a very small impact on gaming. That requires a strong video card. Your laptop has a dedicated video card but it is pretty low end and will struggle with demanding games and an NVME M.2 SSD will not alter that. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Hi, Huffer. I have ordered a Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD for my laptop. I don't like to clone HD disk to this SSD. Can I just clone a partition with OS to this SSD? if yes, what kind of software can help move the OS to SSD.

HP Recommended

I would just do a clean install. Cloning a single partition will not get you an operating system you also need to copy the system and boot partitions and its hard to do that and keep the correct geometry so that the system still boots. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.