Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Can I add an SSD drive to an Envy 15 or do I have to replace the original drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes assuming the SSD is large enough to hold all the data that was on the old drive you can do "clone with resizing" from the old drive to the new. I use Acronis to do that and they offer a fully functional 30 day trial which would work to clone one drive. You will need a usb to SATA adapter to hang the new drive on the computer and access it for the cloning procedure. On an SSD, though you probably are going to be cramped for space and you may want to just make the recovery disks with just the C:/> drive image and install the OS on the SSD using those disks and forget about having a recovery partition on the SSD. If you do that, you will not need to buy a usb to sata adapter. You could also just clone the C:\> drive to the SSD using acronis and keep the old drive to use for recovery if you ever need to do so later.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The Envy 15 has one drive bay, so you can only have one hard drive or one SSD in at a time. Your Envy 15 supports virtually any standard 2.5" SSD, however you wil have to remove the drive you currently have in there.

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

What would the process be for transferring the OS from the HDD to the SDD?

Also, I know the HDD has a recovery partition. Can that be replicated on the SSD?

HP Recommended

Yes assuming the SSD is large enough to hold all the data that was on the old drive you can do "clone with resizing" from the old drive to the new. I use Acronis to do that and they offer a fully functional 30 day trial which would work to clone one drive. You will need a usb to SATA adapter to hang the new drive on the computer and access it for the cloning procedure. On an SSD, though you probably are going to be cramped for space and you may want to just make the recovery disks with just the C:/> drive image and install the OS on the SSD using those disks and forget about having a recovery partition on the SSD. If you do that, you will not need to buy a usb to sata adapter. You could also just clone the C:\> drive to the SSD using acronis and keep the old drive to use for recovery if you ever need to do so later.

HP Recommended

So Huffer, you are telling me that the procedure of transfering the data from the original HDD to the SSD does not require any form of new windows installation, that the computer will identify the empty SSD disk as just a new external harddrive?

I have studied the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx-nJDWTg4

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Their procedure is quite more complicated than the one you are discribing. Do you know any tutorial for proceeding with your recommended steps?

Best regards from Sweden

HP Recommended

Hi Sir I Have Hp Envy 15 Ae009tx i7 With GTx 4b Grafic Card I Want To Knoe Can I Add Sdd On My laptop And Can I Using Ssd And Hdd At A Time Or Just Using One Ssd Or Hdd 2nd Qustion Which Kind Of SSD I Am Using What Size Please Tell Me Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.