Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please I would like to know if I can replace my non backlit keyboard with a backlit one as I work at night mostly, also I have 4G kingston 1600mhz Ram and I want to know if my laptop has a second ram slot, if it doesn't can I upgrade it to a 8gb or 16gb? 

my laptop product number is:  L9N79EA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No need to be equal but to be able to get full benefit of dual channels architecture you need same size, same specs even same brand on both slots.

Note: You may have to move 4GB to the second slot and put new 8GB on the first slot.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine is an HP Notebook - 15-r217nx  laptop:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04595153

The whole series only has one option:

Full-size "island style" keyboard with numeric keypad
TouchPad with multi-touch gestures, 2-finger scrolling, and pinch-zoom enabled
Taps enabled by default
Support Win8.1+D212 Modern Trackpad Gestures
Support PS/2, profile sensor (reserve for SMBus)

Therefore no, the motherboard does not have connectors for lights for a backlit keyboard.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello  M7madGalal,

Welcome to Forum !!

Sorry, Keyboard cannot be changed/upgraded.  But Yes, Memory can be upgraded upto 16GB

Please go through this guide :http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502

Also downlaod and run this   : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employe

HP Recommended

so does it have a second ram slot or one only?

ok it does have a second slot and it's empty so my question is: can i add 8gb ram in the second slot while the first one has 4gb or both has to be equal ?

also should i get the same ram brand (Kingston)  that's inside my laptop?

HP Recommended

Hi,

No need to be equal but to be able to get full benefit of dual channels architecture you need same size, same specs even same brand on both slots.

Note: You may have to move 4GB to the second slot and put new 8GB on the first slot.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.