Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - V2Z46AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a feeling that this 2.3 GHz i5 6300hq isn't going to get me very far.  I was wondering if my specific model was upgradable, and if so, what CPUs I could install.  I have done work on my old Pavilion 15, replacing the CPU and upgrading RAM, so I believe I'm capable of upgrading myself.  

Also, my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, which is a problem as I use the notebook for gaming.  I currently have the GTX 960m 2gb, if you think that I'm wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Manual is cryptic at best but if you have read and worked with a few of them and done a processor swap or 2 it's obvious the processor is soldered to the motherboard. Dead giveaway: no lising of processor as replacement part. Second dead giveaway: no picture of removing processor. P. 51 of the Manual shows a representation fo a soldered on processor. 3rd dead giveaway...description of replacement motherboard includes processor included with board. See p. 52. The best motherboard with i7 and 4 gig video memory and Windows 10 is 857389-601 

HP does not have it in stock:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=D3E80C12FAA74A1EBCBE3DEFC4D0100E&SearchIn=P...

Also no luck finding it through eBay or amazon.com

And please don't take it out on the HP Reps working this board. They are not responsible for issues you have had with the Service Centers and are just trying to help. 

Good luck. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Vaughn1,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you are considering upgrading the CPU on your notebook. Here is a like to the HP Pavilion Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 19, item 13, system board. The CPU is not listed separately as a  customer replaceable part. 

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for. Also, clicking the Thumbs Up” below is a great way to say thanks! :generic:

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and manual, but you haven't told me if the CPU is soldered to the board.  Perhaps I could send it to your ridiculously expensive repair store, where I was given a faulty hard drive, and have them replace it?  I would like to know if it's soldered or not, simply.

HP Recommended

Hi @Baughn1,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link. 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

The Manual is cryptic at best but if you have read and worked with a few of them and done a processor swap or 2 it's obvious the processor is soldered to the motherboard. Dead giveaway: no lising of processor as replacement part. Second dead giveaway: no picture of removing processor. P. 51 of the Manual shows a representation fo a soldered on processor. 3rd dead giveaway...description of replacement motherboard includes processor included with board. See p. 52. The best motherboard with i7 and 4 gig video memory and Windows 10 is 857389-601 

HP does not have it in stock:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=D3E80C12FAA74A1EBCBE3DEFC4D0100E&SearchIn=P...

Also no luck finding it through eBay or amazon.com

And please don't take it out on the HP Reps working this board. They are not responsible for issues you have had with the Service Centers and are just trying to help. 

Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.