Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cs2073cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I purchased the HP Pavilion 15-cs2073cl on sale at Costco. It's a pretty good laptop but that HDD is brutal. I haven't opened the case yet, but I can see similar models opened in YouTube videos and it appears that there is an M.2 SSD NVMe slot right above the HDD.

But while looking around I also found a forum response that someone went through all the trouble and expense of buying an M.2 SSD drive, opening the laptop, and plugging it in, only to find that there's no BIOS option to boot from it.

If that's the case I'll probably try replacing the HDD with a standard SATA SSD. But if I can keep and slave the HDD I'd prefer it.

Can anyone state with certainty:

- If this model of the Pavilion laptop has the M.2 SSD slot, and if it's NVME or another type

- If the BIOS of this model can boot from that drive if mounted

- Failing that, if it is possible to just replace the HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

So, I realize a lot of people ask this kind of question. I'm looking for info on my own. I can't find the manual that lists the definite compatible drives but via the support page, on the page listing the available downloads I see that there is a Firmware update for SSD on HP Pavilion 15 laptops in general. It lists the following types of drives as compatible:

"Micron 1100 SSD MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA"="2.5" 256GB"
"Micron 1100 SSD MTFDDAK512TBN-1AR1ZABHA"="2.5" 512GB"
"Micron 1100 SSD MTFDDAK1T0TBN-1AR1ZABHA"="2.5" 1TB"
"Micron 1100 SSD MTFDDAV256TBN-1AR1ZABHA"="M.2 256GB"
"Micron 1100 SSD MTFDDAV512TBN-1AR1ZABHA"="M.2 512GB"

So that's encouraging, but still a bit vague ....

If anyone can point me to the owner's manual for this specific laptop (CS2073CL) I would really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@newage_lightbul 

Crucial says its M.2 SSD P1 series of products are fully compatible (guaranteed) as shown

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-15-cs2073cl

Machine supports both M.2 SATA and NVMe.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Awesome, thanks. Now I just need to find a screwdriver tiny enough to take out those front screws!

HP Recommended

Same here.  In fact, if we can't use an M.2 NVMe, we'll take it back under the Costco 90-day return policy.

Still, no answer from an official HP representative here...  Very concerning.  Even though some models have a dual drive option, the BIOS is the key.  Maybe, after putting one in, the option will appear.

Again, the 90-day return policy is the key.  Plus, more computers will go on sale (grads and ramp up to school sales).

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

@newage_lightbul 

Crucial says its M.2 SSD P1 series of products are fully compatible (guaranteed) as shown

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-15-cs2073cl

Machine supports both M.2 SATA and NVMe.

Regards.

...but will it work concurrently?  Does this BIOS offer a boot option from that slot?  I don't see that option on the BIOS for PCIe, NVMe or M.2 or anything of the sort.

HP Recommended

Here's a link to the video showing the slot:

https://youtu.be/wnr1g731ziY?t=365

Now, if you freeze it at 6:05 into the video, the slot is clearly shown (an upside down 18132V is visible on the port).

Even though the motherboard has a slot for it, does the HP BIOS have a way of including it in the boot sequence?

(PS. I do not see the screw for the standoff spacer, most NVMes do not come with one, it looks like a hard drive mounting screw would go into it but searches for exact information have not yielded anything yet.  There is a possibility that the M.2 x 3 screw is located at the approximate midway point between the port and the standoff (the black circle on the silver chassis in the video) but that is yet to be determined.)

HP Recommended

Hi, I know it's been a while since you asked your question, but I bought the same model laptop from cosco and have discovered that the bios doesn't even acknowledge any m.2 I install (crucial p1 and Samsung evo 370). If you have found a solution I would love to hear it, or if its not possible I will also go with a conventional ssd swap.

HP Recommended

Yeah, Costco voids the warranty if you open their computers up.  I took the HP back.  If you can, find something else and get something that may cost $150 more but will be under warranty with the second OS drive.

I bought a Y7000 Lenovo that's much more powerful (low-end gamer).  Paid $150 more but have an NVMe and 1TB spinner.  It returns to stock sporadically, 0.949k dls and never been cheaper since June.

HP missed the boat.

HP Recommended

Wish i would've known that sooner hah. I guess i'll stick with the hp and just use a large conventional ssd. The support staff om this forum swear that it's possible but I've done everything. Even with the hdd removed the ssd wasn't recognized, this laptop has a very limited bios,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.