Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

So you installed to a USB, not just from a USB?  That was what I was proposing.  Since you ruled out the hard drive, the only thing that could be checked still is the hard drive controller on the motherboard and I was thinking that was a way to do it.  Also, I think you could still do the installation to the SD card just to see if it succeeded, it would not boot on its own but you could boot from a USB and then select the SD to boot from.  Some others here have done that.

HP Recommended

No, I did not try to install to a USB drive, I attempted to launch Ubuntu Live from a USB drive.  It fails to even boot so I was unable to install to any storage device.  I could burn a disc of Ubuntu Live to try but I doubt it will matter as I have attempted to install 64 bit win7 from two different discs already...  I'd be more than happy to try it with Ubuntu on DVD if someone thinks it's worthwhile.

I'll go ahead and burn a disc and see if I can install to an SD card. .. If I get far enough to matter, do they simply launch GRUB from USB then select the SD drive to boot from?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Okay, I've got it now, I was thinking Ubuntu was failing during the installation to the hard drive, not during the boot from the live USB.  No, I guess it would not matter much to attempt to boot a live DVD or to try an install to an SD card.

HP Recommended

I tried to install Ubuntu 16 64bit from DVD.  On one try I actually got to the "Ubuntu" with the red dots screen.  It scrolled the dots for about thirty seconds and then froze.  A minute later the disc spun up again and the dots moved once again.  The disc spun down after a few seconds and then the dots just rolled for the next twelve-ish minutes and never got anywhere.  I shut it down and booted again.  This time it printed out:  [    0.141741] do_IRQ: 4.237 No irq handler for vector  

After some searching the best that I can find on this error explains it as a limitation in the bios causes this type of error.

I tried a few times more and never got any further. 

I think I'm down to just trying out another chip to rule out any possibility of that.  If I still have problems with another processor I will have to blame it on the foreign market board.  This is my second one of these exact boards (branded "Casablanca h710")  with this exact problem... Assuming the problem persists with another processor on board,  I will contact the seller and ask for a refund. 

HP Recommended

Problem solved, it is the processor.

I tested the board with a different processor; 64 bit Ubuntu 16 installed and ran perfectly.   Somehow my chip is able to run 32 bit without an issue but not 64 bit.   I'll snag another chip and be on my way.

Thanks for all of the attempted help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.